Ok here we go ! No polyp extension

mikesmith34

Market
Reaction score
I never have PE. I picked up some frags at out last meet . The lemonade from Seth was loud and proud. Now no so much. Red planet same thing. My corals are growing well I just can't get my stick to grow hair like some of the others do. I just tested my waters tonight and everything is stable. ATO, doser, random water movement from the dual 25's. I don't know I just don't get it. Maybe it's the GFO. Now my LPS have very good feeder extensions but I want sps extention. Any thoughts :confused2:

Color is good and the nitrates when they were down at zero nothing. I cut back on my vodka for a couple of weeks and my nitrates creep up. I'm going to increase my carbon dosing back up to normal and lower them. I feed frozen a little on the heavy side. Cyclopeeze rodifers mysis baby brine and reef chilli. Not all at once obviously but more of a diversification for fish and corals.

My corals growth is good just can't get them to get their fuzz on. I don't understand it.

I use my RD colony as a PO4 indicator in my tank. If PO4>.05ppm there is no PE. My other colonies have different thresholds and react more slowly to changes in PO4. The RD tells me in just a matter of hours.

what type lighting do you have? Any fish (angels) that may be nipping at the new additions?
are you dosing amino acids like AcroPower or other brands?

Seth The Wine Guy;951637 wrote: I use my RD colony as a PO4 indicator in my tank. If PO4>.05ppm there is no PE. My other colonies have different thresholds and react more slowly to changes in PO4. The RD tells me in just a matter of hours.

Been needing to get some of your frags. Remind me RD too :)

Seth The Wine Guy;951637 wrote: I use my RD colony as a PO4 indicator in my tank. If PO4>.05ppm there is no PE. My other colonies have different thresholds and react more slowly to changes in PO4. The RD tells me in just a matter of hours.

Interesting observation. I just started noticing some PE on the frag of this i got from you.

Hanna is at zero. Just checked it last night. My RD that I got from you seems happy im keeping it 2/3 way down and is getting a nice red color to it with new growth at the tips.

gregoryleonard;951641 wrote: what type lighting do you have? Any fish (angels) that may be nipping at the new additions?
are you dosing amino acids like AcroPower or other brands?

250 mh x 2 14k Oshio with t5 x 2 54w actinics. I do in fact have a coral beauty but I never see him nipping. He may be doing it when Im not looking and could in fact be a factor. I only dose BRS 2 part and vodka

Mikesmith34;951676 wrote: Hanna is at zero. Just checked it last night. My RD that I got from you seems happy im keeping it 2/3 way down and is getting a nice red color to it with new growth at the tips.

Other factors I've seen retard PE is too much light or too much flow. Doesn't sound like you have too much light. Don't know about the flow...

I never have any issue with Nitrates so I couldn't tell you if that could be a factor. But, the basic fundamentals of what the polyps are for is to catch nutrients. So, if nutrients in one form or another are in over abundance, I would hypothesize the corals tell the polyps not to extend since a few factors are involved.
1. The corals ability to build exoskeleton is severely diminished with PO4 or NO3
SO
2. A coral not building more of itself and growing is not "hungry"
AND
3. The polyps are the most delicate and fragile extension of the coral along with new growth. The coral probably doesn't want to risk extending them if they aren't hungry and already have more food available than needed.

I've seen many a colony of SPS over an extended period of time with terrible PE that have good growth and color. While we all LOVE good PE from our SPS, I don't think it's a deciding factor as to whether a coral is happy and healthy. We think when a coral LOOKS its best is when it's healthiest. Which may be farthest from the case. Humans have retarded many a plant and animal through selective breeding and manipulation to please our eyes at the expense of the creature.

The only thing I can absolutely guarantee every SPS loves is stability.

Seth The Wine Guy;951758 wrote: Other factors I've seen retard PE is too much light or too much flow. Doesn't sound like you have too much light. Don't know about the flow...

I never have any issue with Nitrates so I couldn't tell you if that could be a factor. But, the basic fundamentals of what the polyps are for is to catch nutrients. So, if nutrients in one form or another are in over abundance, I would hypothesize the corals tell the polyps not to extend since a few factors are involved.
1. The corals ability to build exoskeleton is severely diminished with PO4 or NO3
SO
2. A coral not building more of itself and growing is not "hungry"
AND
3. The polyps are the most delicate and fragile extension of the coral along with new growth. The coral probably doesn't want to risk extending them if they aren't hungry and already have more food available than needed.

I've seen many a colony of SPS over an extended period of time with terrible PE that have good growth and color. While we all LOVE good PE from our SPS, I don't think it's a deciding factor as to whether a coral is happy and healthy. We think when a coral LOOKS its best is when it's healthiest. Which may be farthest from the case. Humans have retarded many a plant and animal through selective breeding and manipulation to please our eyes at the expense of the creature.

The only thing I can absolutely guarantee every SPS loves is stability.

Very interesting summary. I guess as long as there is good growth and color I just need to let it ride. Maybe in time it will work itself out. Right now I'm very happy with my tank. I would like to have a little more light, I just haven't figured out a way to incorporate it under my canopy without spending a fortune. I'm thinking of trying to squeeze in a couple more T5s.

Got home tonight and one of my fish broke off about a 3/4 inch tip off of my red dragon. Soooo now I have a frag that I will grow out. Thanks for the input Seth.

Frag you say? (In Yoda voice)

I always wondered about the relationship between PE and healthy corals.

Curtismaximus;951843 wrote: Frag you say? (In Yoda voice)

Are you stalking my baby dragon. Shame on you:D maybe we can work something out down the road when it heals up:thumbs:

Curtismaximus;951843 wrote: Frag you say? (In Yoda voice)

I think some corals just tend to have more PE thank others. All my SPS have good PE except for my ORA Miami Orchid. It does at certain times but I've read a lot of people have the same issue. I figure as long as it's growing and encrusting its doing well.

Back