Old equipment swaps.

wildernets

Market
Reaction score
When you swap out old equipment and put a new one in place, do you throw out the old one. Ive just replaced my heater element. There does not appear to be any damage after 2 years. Think it is safe to save as a spare? Or, do I consider it past it operating life and toss it. I understand with bulbs the best idea is to toss but how about heaters? Pumps? Etc... just liking to start conversation and see what everyone thinks/does.

I never throw anything Away . You never know when some thing quits what's wrong. By having spare parts you can almost trouble shoot Anything. Also ya never know when you may need a emergency set up or when some brand new part quits working randomly. I have a Rubbermaid tub with a lid I keep in my shed .
I actually just went out there and got a adapter I needed for brine shrimp project .

For me, I keep a spare set. For example, I just tore down my 150. So i needed some equipment to run the holding tank for the livestock.

In there:
I have old heater that works, an AquaRemora Hob skimmer, wave maker, etc. these things all work but probably not worth much if sold. ActuAlly, I’m glad that I didn’t sell the hob skimmer when there was a market for it.

We should build a small all in one set up out of everyone's old junk box , we could pass it around at the monthly meetings or between people that live close . See how long we can keep it going . You could add a frag or take a frag , upgrade it and send it on.:D

I keep old heaters for heating water for water changes and keep most of my stuff just in case. Plus I am awful about getting the urge to just set up a tank and my husband is more excepting of me doing that, if I have most of what I need. :)

I toss them out. Heaters, lamps, pumps..when they're done, they're done. Heaters are inexpensive, so there's really no point holding onto an old one. They should be changed out every few years.

If you throw out the stuff, then you KNOW you don't have it and you'll act quickly to get a replacement. When there's an old one laying around, you'll put it in play and then forget to get the replacement. And you know it'll fail on you when you do that!

I toss them out. Heaters, lamps, pumps..when they're done, they're done. Heaters are inexpensive, so there's really no point holding onto an old one. They should be changed out every few years.

If you throw out the stuff, then you KNOW you don't have it and you'll act quickly to get a replacement. When there's an old one laying around, you'll put it in play and then forget to get the replacement. And you know it'll fail on you when you do that!

What he said...

Back