Old Saltwater?

jcook54

Secretary
Staff member
Supporting
Contest Committee
Reaction score
Any issues you guy can think of to always keeping 10g or so of saltwater mixed up? I usually make it as needed to water changes but I've been doing so much deep "cleaning" that I have 3g left and thought about just adding RODI and throwing some salt in. Any issues you can think of having saltwater in a container for a week or two? Any issues with never starting from scratch and just adding water and salt to the container never gets dried out? Usually I use it all, clean the container, let it dry out and start over again.

No there's no issues if it's not kept too long. Many people set up auto water change systems that change out a gallon or two per day and they make a weeks or more at a time.

It is good practice to keep the water moving after it's mixed if you're going to let it sit more than a day. So if you make 10 gallons put a tiny powerhead in there to keep some circulation happening.

I have heard of some salts losing alkalinity when kept for more than a week or two. Don't know if there is any truth in that, but might be beneficial to test along with salinity before using. But perhaps they just didn't keep a very tight seal on the container.

I have heard of some salts losing alkalinity when kept for more than a week or two. Don't know if there is any truth in that, but might be beneficial to test along with salinity before using. But perhaps they just didn't keep a very tight seal on the container.

Yep, you can definitely precipitate some things depending on the mix and the setup.

I keep between 50 and 200 gallons mixed at all times. In an open container(sealed is WAY better) in my basement, with a pump moving it one hour on, one hour off. I have no issues leaving it like that for a month before use.

Water movement is key. Stagnant water goes bad.

I like the idea of running it on a time. I always just have a circulation pump running. I imagine I could save a dollar or two but putting it on one of those cheap rotary timers. Is that why y'all run the pumps in an on/off cycle? I suppose it could save pump life as well?

If it's just 10 gallons one of these will do. I wouldn't put a timer on it unless it caused clouding. The amount of power these use would take a long time to recoup the cost of a timer and if it fails in 5yrs they're cheap enough to replace. Now 25+ gallons would be a bigger pump and a timer.

Well my mix pump is a mag 12 so yeah I dont want that running all day every day. I wouldnt worry about a power head though.

I used to always keep salt mixed up and heated, turning over almost constantly
I would use half, top off and add salt again I did this for a couple years without issue. At some point a layer of skimlike material was floating on top of the salt mix brute. I never tested the water itself, but I was having phos issues in my dt so I wad making water changes a couple times a week.

When I realized there was a skim of stuff on the water surface I sterilized my brutes, changed my rodi filters, then returned to operation as before. The skim returned a few weeks later so I resterilized, stopped heating the water, and now usually leave the salt half strength if it is to sit for more than a few days. I have not seen the skim surface come back yet.

I had also changed salts prior to the skim forming. From what I have read the salt change may be the culprit, but the skim has not returned and I am liky using the most popular salt around. From what I have read, it seems the additives (or remnants of natural stuff) can cause the issue I had and this can be exacberated by heat.

Back