Opinions on larger halide reflector

acroholic

Lifetime
Reaction score
I am looking to replace my Lumenmax Elite reflectors with something larger. Sunlight Supply manufactures the LumenMax Elites (14" x 14" footprint), and they made a Lumenmax Large reflector which would be my first choice at 22" x 22" and similar construction to the LM Elite.

I want to lower the lighting over my 465 gallon. I have to keep it pretty high with the smaller LM Elites, as they tend to hotspot/spotlight when placed lower in the tank.

The problem is Sunlight Supply has been out of Reef Lighting for about a year so, and their products are not available any more from anywhere.

I found this hydroponics based reflector online, called QuadRay, and it is very similar in design to the LM large, same 22x22 footprint, with the exception is is entirely made of hammertone dimpled metal. Here is the link for it.

http://www.htgsupply.com/Product-QuadRay-Reflector.asp">http://www.htgsupply.com/Product-QuadRay-Reflector.asp</a>

Better pic in the ebay AD:

[IMG]http://www.ebay.com/itm/QUADRAY-GROW-LIGHT-REFLECTOR-lumenmax-hood-HYDROPONICS-/390114546731?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ad4a3942b">http://www.ebay.com/itm/QUADRAY-GROW-LIGHT-REFLECTOR-lumenmax-hood-HYDROPONICS-/390114546731?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ad4a3942b</a>

Only other option, really, is a Hamilton Technology Cozumel Sun reflector at 19" x 19".

Thoughts?

Maybe order one of both options and test them out to see how your sps responds. Seems like you don't mind a good scientific experiment so you could def keep your control and throw in both fixtures as two variables.

Hamilton has always made a good product but its always worth testing new things our. The hydro fixture could be a real winner

Personally, I would not do dimple (from what I've read, it will diffuse the light a bit more so there are no real "hotspots" not sure how that will effect PAR if at all...would be nice to see a test)...I would actually go with the Large LumenBright reflectors. I have ran LB's since the first run and I can not be happier!

a>

Almost a month ago, I installed (2) of the large Hamilton Technology Cozumel Sun reflectors (20" x 20" x9.5") over my 420. You can see a couple photos of them on my build thread. They have a combo of dimpled and flat reflective surfaces. They came with wire mounts, but I mounted them on rails instead - extremely minor conversion. I mounted them a little higher than I originally expected to. Even though they are a larger footprint, they still seem to be putting down a lot of light. Well built reflectors IMO. I was interested in the Lumenmax Large reflectors, but as you know they stopped making them.

I'm very happy with them at this point, but I haven't had them too long. There definitely is no hot spotting or high lighting. Very smooth layout of light across the whole tank. I'm running 400W Radiums w/ Hamilton magnetic ballasts.

glxtrix;886913 wrote: Personally, I would not do dimple (from what I've read, it will diffuse the light a bit more so there are no real "hotspots" not sure how that will effect PAR if at all...would be nice to see a test)...I would actually go with the Large LumenBright reflectors. I have ran LB's since the first run and I can not be happier!

http://www.reefspecialty.com/coralvue-lumen-bright-reflectors">http://www.reefspecialty.com/coralvue-lumen-bright-reflectors</a>[/QUOTE]

Lee,
That is one thing that concerns me. I am not sure how translatable a horticulture reflector is to a reef tank? Most reef halide reflectors will either use all mirror finish like the LumenBrights, or a combo of Hammertone/mirror like the Lumenmax elite or LM Large does.

I was wondering if you need [B]some[/B] mirrored finish to penetrate the water in a reef tank, vs just going through air like in a plant growing situation? Maybe some hotspotting is needed to penetrate the tank water, whereas no hot spots is preferable for plant leaves in open air?

When I have the LM Elites too low, there is definite and unattractive (IMO) hotspotting in the tank, not because the LM Elites are not good reflectors. They are great, but I may be asking them for too much spread in a tank 40" front to back.

Edit: [QUOTE=][B]JJ Ocean;886914 wrote:[/B] Almost a month ago, I installed (2) of the large Hamilton Technology Cozumel Sun reflectors (20" x 20" x9.5") over my 420. You can see a couple photos of them on my build thread. They have a combo of dimpled and flat reflective surfaces. They came with wire mounts, but I mounted them on rails instead - extremely minor conversion. I mounted them a little higher than I originally expected to. Even though they are a larger footprint, they still seem to be putting down a lot of light. Well built reflectors IMO. I was interested in the Lumenmax Large reflectors, but as you know they stopped making them.

I'm very happy with them at this point, but I haven't had them too long. There definitely is no hot spotting or high lighting. Very smooth layout of light across the whole tank. I'm running 400W Radiums w/ Hamilton magnetic ballasts.[/QUOTE]

I'll take a look at your thread. I have the same setup: Hamilton ballasts and Radium 400 watt bulbs.

I was leaning towards the Quadray setup, but after reading this post about the Hamiltons, I may do them instead. Maybe the 2" extra L x W of the Quadrays is not that big a deal. One thing about the Quadray is you can position the bulb up or down in the reflector, which is cool, like focusing a flashlight, but you cannot center the bulb in the fixture, it doesn't look like. You can center the bulb in the Hamilton reflector.

IMO, you are correct in your thinking. Air is obviously completely different vs water penetration...not to mention, you don't want a "hotspot" on plants, you will in theory, add hot spots and run the chance of burning them. However, I could be wrong...I haven;t really done the research. Yes the LB, LA and LM reflectors are very "spot light" driven, and does make it challenging for deeper tanks. Go larger reflector, higher wattage (or possibly the same) and see how high you can raise them before you see too much of a drop off in PAR. High quality reflectors will only really be able to give you this....and my fear, with the dimple and the "diffuse" effect (or so plant people say that's the effect they give) I would think you're going to reduce the lower PAR too much. That would result in lowering the lights and giving you the spot light beams again. Tough situation to be in, esp if you only want to stay with 4 bulbs.

Dave
I had no problems with using the DIY lumenbrights. Not sure about hot spots since I never really checked for them. The light according to a cheap par meter was pretty evenly distributed . I kept them 14" between reflector and thew water surface. 22.5"x 22.5" You could have a custom reflector made. I built one over a 48x48 frag tank that did a great job with a single 400 watt. It was 30x30 in size

grouper therapy;886978 wrote: Dave
I had no problems with using the DIY lumenbrights. Not sure about hot spots since I never really checked for them. The light according to a cheap par meter was pretty evenly distributed . I kept them 14" between reflector and thew water surface. 22.5"x 22.5" You could have a custom reflector made. I built one over a 48x48 frag tank that did a great job with a single 400 watt. It was 30x30 in size

Dave,
Was your reflector material mirrored or hammertone, or both?

Dang David I didn't know you were looking for reflectors as I had these for the longest time, but they are being held/sold to Jacyen as he wants to upgrade. They are 22x22 and I also have made in the past 22x22 in the square pattern that you had posted links to in polish, hammertone, and also a combo of both but can't tell you who has what where now!
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
fieldset>

Eric B;887009 wrote: Dang David I didn't know you were looking for reflectors as I had these for the longest time, but they are being held/sold to Jacyen as he wants to upgrade. They are 22x22 and I also have made in the past 22x22 in the square pattern that you had posted links to in polish, hammertone, and also a combo of both but can't tell you who has what where now!

Those look like Lumenbrite larges made of hammertone, hehehe! How did you like them? Was the spread good? Great work on making them. Looks professional.

Mine was mirrored, I actually have one of the combo square ones that EricB built of which i will use on my cube.

Do you have access to a PAR meter to test the 2 variations? Would be nice to see how the combo stacks up against the solid reflective one.

Well, after considering the opinions here, I decided to go with the Hamilton Cozumel Sun Pendants. The 2" difference in the footprint between that and the QuadRay wasn't enough to worry about. And since most square reflectors, including the LumenMax large, use a combo of the hammertone and mirrored reflectors and so does the Hamilton, I thought I should stick with a design used a lot on reefs instead of a complete hammertone reflector.

JJ Ocean: it was nice to be able to read your actual experience with the Cozumel sun. That kind of tipped it over to the Hamilton for me.

Thanks everyone for your help with my decision.
Dave

If you haven't already Dave, try to find the par distribution map for the reflectors in question...they will give you a definitive answer. Though, several people really like the Hamilton Cozumel with very deep tanks...at least from what I've read here and there.

I'm not sure if you pulled the trigger or not, but I called Hamilton Technology Today (after pics, emails, discussions, last week) and they are custom building me a light fixture that they discontinued.......the way they talked today, they would build to order anything....

and I questioned the price 3 times....are you sure that the wires are included for $137.00?

2, 400 watt custom made fixtures?

Acroholic;887010 wrote: Those look like Lumenbrite larges made of hammertone, hehehe! How did you like them? Was the spread good? Great work on making them. Looks professional.

Thanks Dave! They worked great and hopefully Jacyen will like them over his tank as well! Spread was good and with the hammertone it kinda dispersed the light a little better in my opinion over a complete polished unit. I also cut circles in the top and made like an open vent to let the hot air out the top and it seems to work great. I had to change the pattern a little to do this because it takes up a half an inch at the top I moved the bulb position down also by that much to make sure bulb stayed in the same position. Don't think that matters but drew on a cad program and so was easy to move and cut with a cnc plasma cutter.

mysterybox;887064 wrote: I'm not sure if you pulled the trigger or not, but I called Hamilton Technology Today (after pics, emails, discussions, last week) and they are custom building me a light fixture that they discontinued.......the way they talked today, they would build to order anything....

and I questioned the price 3 times....are you sure that the wires are included for $137.00?

2, 400 watt custom made fixtures?

If you get it for that Ralph, you made out like a bandit. That sounds like a single reflector price. I bought my Cozumels from BRS, and I think they are $20 cheaper from them vs buying from Hamilton direct. They would never have lower prices than their Distributors, I would think.

Acroholic;887113 wrote: If you get it for that Ralph, you made out like a bandit. That sounds like a single reflector price. I bought my Cozumels from BRS, and I think they are $20 cheaper from them vs buying from Hamilton direct. They would never have lower prices than their Distributors, I would think.

nope, it's dual....100% positive...I sent pics....I sent 10 pics with every angle, both upper, lower, side, top, back, lower, plugs, ........

all had 2 fixtures......I am telling you...I talked to Dave.....press 1

I am almost as anal as you....albeit....not as....lol.....

My photo's were of the entire fixture....both.....he quoted like $67.00 I said, huh? I need the wires.......that includes the wires.....I said, "no way, what kind of wires?, he said, " 3 prong quick disconnect such as a galaxy ballast"

and for the record, I've been in business management since 1982

either in the field as a partnership, or a General Manager, or in college at GA State in Business...lol....

Meany weany Dave.....lol....

Back