@ options for a second tank, need advice

nasa_tiger

Market
Reaction score
So I have been looking for a second fish only tank and have 2 options that I am supposed to look at:

A 55 gallon Heaxgonal tank with stand and lid for $75

or

A 150 Gallon RR with stand/Canopy/T5 lights for $300

The 55 would fit perfectly upstairs by my reef tank but the 150 would give me so many more options and would have to go in my movie room. Thoughts? I appreciate any input.

What do you want to keep?

I've seen some spectacular low-energy lagoon setups online using hex tanks to allow viewing from more angles than the standard rectangle allows for. Not for everybody, but for certain setups and biotopes it really works.

But if you want the more typical mix of reef fish (of which most prefer lateral swimming area for territory and movement) OR simply want to have more space to work with the 150'd probably be a better option.

If I grabbed the 150 I was thinking: Snowflake eel, Lionfish, Dogface Puffer, and an angel/trigger

If I got the 55 I was thinking: Possible snowflake eel (or a dwarf moray) and dwarf lionfish

If I was was doing a fish only I'd have to go 150. The only reason for the fish only for me would be triggers and puffers that aren't reef safe. The 150 would give you a lot more options.

Do you plan on adding support to the floors? Not sure it would wise to do a 150 on the second floor without proper planning

If it was me, go for the 150. whenever I set up a new tank, I am always regretting not going larger no matter how large my tank is.

You always want more room for a FO simply because all the FO type fish get large and they crap A LOT.

I was considering doing the same with a 120 or 180 and housing triggers, lions, angles and groupers. Keep it simple with just some live rock, bio balls and a sulfur denitrator.

I still want to but things are harder now that the woman moved in.

My woman and I have a good arrangement: She buys shoes and dresses and I buy fish stuff! Definitely going to grab the 150. $300 for tank, cherry wood canopy and stand, and the t5 lighting is too good to pass up...

Next question though, what size sump should I start looking for? ha

Not a bad looking set up for the price
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
1007056=58584-00D0D_lKQAdX8J72Z_600x450.jpg
>
1007056=58584-00D0D_lKQAdX8J72Z_600x450.jpg
class="gc-images" title="00D0D_lKQAdX8J72Z_600x450.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

I'm more into small (read tiny) tanks myself... just like the lower upkeep and the ability to see the small additions on a regular basis. That said, for those fish go big... the 150 will serve you better.

If you wind up going for the hex, consider a Fu Manchu Lionfish (Dendrochirus biocellatus) rather than the more common fuzzy dwarf variety... the Fu stays closer to 4" fully grown and will likely do better in the smaller system.

Back