ORP levels

bkostuch

Market
Reaction score
So I picked up an ORP probe for my Apex, was reading the acceptable ranges are like 300 - 450. Right now my reading is 275....

Should I try and raise the ORP and if so how?? More surface disturbance?

I read the articles on reef central from Randy Holmes-Farley but wow that went straight over my head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oxygen reduction, if I remember correctly, is a major part of sterilization for medical purposes and disinfection.

Honestly, I've only heard of one person who ever kept track of it. It gave them a sense of what was happening chemically, but at the end of the day, didn't seem to have an effect on anything.

There are probably people who are smarter than me, though, who swear by it.

I run ozone occasionally so I do monitor mine. Mine seems to hang around 400 when my Uv is running so the ozone generator hasn't come on in weeks. Water clarity is the only reason I run it.

grouper therapy;1067312 wrote: I run ozone occasionally so I do monitor mine. Mine seems to hang around 400 when my Uv is running so the ozone generator hasn't come on in weeks. Water clarity is the only reason I run it.

What UV are you running? Mines giving me troubles!

I think my orp
probe may need calibration. There is no way I believe that my uv maintains that level on the system. It does increase when the uv has been running for a few days and gradually decrease when turned off.

If you read the entire article Randy wrote, my hats off to you. I can never make it half way through that article before nodding off.

Just like any other probe with the Apex, I do not necessarily look at the actual value, rather I monitor the ORP graph to see if there are any instances in which there is a significant change. If for some reason the value drops significantly, then I test my water. If my water chemistry looks good then I go on my merry way. It is just another means in which to identify when things might be awry in your tank.

Edit: Just so you know, I don't run an ozonizer or dose anything to maintain a higher ORP level, it is merely just another tool I somewhat rely on to tell me what's going on inside my tank.

Agree there for sure, all that science in that article started making me nervous with numbers.

ghbrewer;1067494 wrote: If you read the entire article Randy wrote, my hats off to you. I can never make it half way through that article before nodding off.

Just like any other probe with the Apex, I do not necessarily look at the actual value, rather I monitor the ORP graph to see if there are any instances in which there is a significant change. If for some reason the value drops significantly, then I test my water. If my water chemistry looks good then I go on my merry way. It is just another means in which to identify when things might be awry in your tank.

Edit: Just so you know, I don't run an ozonizer or dose anything to maintain a higher ORP level, it is merely just another tool I somewhat rely on to tell me what's going on inside my tank.

+1 great explanation Grant.

I have an orp probe on my apex. it reads ph2 not orp gen. around 2.62 and never moves. but I se people talking odd nunbers 477 or something and also see screen shots of apex that list orp. what am I doing wrong?

ORYANSREEF;1067570 wrote: I have an orp probe on my apex. it reads ph2 not orp gen. around 2.62 and never moves. but I se people talking odd nunbers 477 or something and also see screen shots of apex that list orp. what am I doing wrong?

You need to go into your dashboard and set that probe outlet to read ORP, it is defaulted to read PH...

Go on your display pad and enable it, I had to do the same with mine. Here is a picture.
c051d888aaf000a73c08c3179da65307.jpg
alt="" />

Setup - ORP setup - then enable.

bkostuch;1067580 wrote: Go on your display pad and enable it, I had to do the same with mine. Here is a picture.
c051d888aaf000a73c08c3179da65307.jpg
alt="" />

Setup - ORP setup - then enable.

Yep, or go to configuration in the dashboard, probe/input setup, ORP, enabled.

I cant do in from my laptop? maybe that's why I cant figure it out. will have to wait till tonight lol

IDK if you can do it in Fusion, so yes, you will likely have to do it when you get home (if you are away from home). Either from the display or from the dashboard.

Back