Oscars mating?

They must be full grown (8-12", depending). Mine were about 7 years give or take when they first laid eggs.

They'll flare their gills at each other, and do the cichlid shimmy. They'll dig a hole and rearrange the whole tank to their liking, they really like some large flat stones to lay eggs on, but if that's not available glass will be used.

Good parents usually. They'll take care of the eggs and the fry.

Ok, mine were just acting very strangely and I didn't know if this is what was going on but I guess they are way to immature to be breeding just yet. They are not yet a year old.

How are they acting?

Mine also had a rough "teenage" phase a year or two in when they fought like scaly little devils and had to be separated for about 6 months.

Its not that they're fighting, its like they're buddies or something. They just never leave each others side and its almost like they play with each other. I haven't seen any aggression though.

That's pretty normal for oscars :)

Mine were best buddies all their lives. I had them for 13 years; in the end one was blind and had to be handfed. The other would defend her against everything from hands and nets to heaters, and actually push her towards food. After she died he stopped eating and wasted away. It was sad and touching all at once.

Back