Our first fishy friends

I would say that your reading of 4 for nitrates are right. That first test might have been wrong when you saw 13.

Ok I re tested again but this time had the peanut gallery look at it, consensus was my eyes suck...nitrate 5ppm, pH 8.3

Ah, you have discovered the problem with color titration tests I believe. Experience should help with this I think. I'm terrible at discerning differences in shading. I use a hand held digital Hanna checker for pH, and the Salifert color titration test for nitrate is pretty easy for me.

I used to be really good at it but developed severe glaucoma in my left eye after cataract surgery. Had a terrible struggle over the pas year with 6 surgeries and significant vision loss but the last surgery did the trick and things are much better, if not perfect, at this point.
We did invest in the APEX but the system we bought (el) only comes with temp and ph probe I think. Aren't there other modules we can buy for it that track all and phos and all of the other things or am I mistaken? I've looked it up but I'll have to check again.

I have found that the Red Sea kits give a pretty discernible color change, with the exception of their Alk test, which is pretty subtle. They are also very accurate. Or maybe I should say they have a very high resolution compared to some other tests. For example, with my API test, all I can tell is that my alkalinity is “between 8 and 9”, whereas with the Red Sea I know it is 8.7...

the other thing I like about the Red Sea tests is that, while they are more expensive up front, they generally let you buy “refill” sets where all you get is the titrants, and not new glass vials, etc. the refills are much cheaper...

I used to be really good at it but developed severe glaucoma in my left eye after cataract surgery. Had a terrible struggle over the pas year with 6 surgeries and significant vision loss but the last surgery did the trick and things are much better, if not perfect, at this point.

You can add module for salinity. Apex does not do nitrates or phosphates or ammonia or ions yet. GHL has the ion director coming out in March- totally different system out of Europe that is pricy but good. Neptune has hinted at nitrate and phosphates - but no official word yet.

No I haven made any changes. I need to get a vacuum and get all the poop and uneaten food out of the bottom of the tank

I just use a long pipette. Nemo's in Duluth has em for like $3.

I got one of the Hanna pH and Phosphate checkers, cuz I'm one of those freaks that can see 10M colors and organize gradients, so comparing colors in liquids to a printed sheet turns me into a Kyle and I punch holes in my drywall.

I just use a long pipette. Nemo's in Duluth has em for like $3.

I got one of the Hanna pH and Phosphate checkers, cuz I'm one of those freaks that can see 10M colors and organize gradients, so comparing colors in liquids to a printed sheet turns me into a Kyle and I punch holes in my drywall.

Thanks for the link!!!

I have found that the Red Sea kits give a pretty discernible color change, with the exception of their Alk test, which is pretty subtle. They are also very accurate. Or maybe I should say they have a very high resolution compared to some other tests. For example, with my API test, all I can tell is that my alkalinity is “between 8 and 9”, whereas with the Red Sea I know it is 8.7...

the other thing I like about the Red Sea tests is that, while they are more expensive up front, they generally let you buy “refill” sets where all you get is the titrants, and not new glass vials, etc. the refills are much cheaper...
Thank you, I do have the API test kit.

Back