Out of state tank move

Sbegley454

Market
Reaction score
I’m considering buying a tank with fish and coral that is located about 4 hours from me. Could someone point me to or have any info on moving this with a little casualties as poss. It’s a 100 gallon tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moving an established tank can be a lot of work, but is totally doable. And can be worth it.

Bring TONS of buckets, and towels. Have lots of pre-mixed Saltwater and RODI water ready at home.

During transport, put lids on everything, water will slosh and spill even with lids.

Given its a 4 hour drive, bring multiple vehicles (and friends), a trailer, or rent a uhaul. It'll make it easier.

The whole thing will take much longer than you expect. Wake up early. Plan to hit the road early. Dont be surprised if your 10 hour plan turns into a 20-hour all nighter.

Moving an established tank can be a lot of work, but is totally doable. And can be worth it.

Bring TONS of buckets, and towels. Have lots of pre-mixed Saltwater and RODI water ready at home.

During transport, put lids on everything, water will slosh and spill even with lids.

Given its a 4 hour drive, bring multiple vehicles (and friends), a trailer, or rent a uhaul. It'll make it easier.

The whole thing will take much longer than you expect. Wake up early. Plan to hit the road early. Dont be surprised if your 10 hour plan turns into a 20-hour all nighter.

If doable I have a large truck that will carry everything. I do plan on spending the night close to pick up so I can get started asap in the am

Buckets and lids and lots of towels have tons of permaid salt water at home and also ro water ready. Also how every long you think it will take double it and you might be close to how long it's going to take.

What do you guys think about moving the fish and coral ? Keeping water oxygenated for fish and water temp good for fish and coral?

I’m considering buying a tank with fish and coral that is located about 4 hours from me. Could someone point me to or have any info on moving this with a little casualties as poss. It’s a 100 gallon tank.

I moved every year for 5 years, some years twice, during my first stint in this hobby during college and immediately following. Moved a 29g then a 55g then 75 and finally a 90g. The final move was a 90g from Marietta to Tampa. After that we went to Texas but I jumped out of the hobby until we got stable instead of that move.

1st just plan to buy new sand. Old sand can be cleaned and refused but it's not worth doing in the midst of this ordeal. You can always add a thin bed and then later clean the old stuff and ready.

2nd if you have a good friend in the hobby give them frags of everything. If things go real bad you can have them send you your frags. Things go good and they got free stuff.

3rd hook up your RO before you even breakdown the tank, or as soon as you arrive for the first time at the new place. Alternatively find a LFS ahead of the move and let them know you plan to purchase 2x your system volume the day you arrive.

4th clean off all of your rock. Have a bucket as you are breaking it down. Shake them, bast them, just clean off as much detritus as possible.

5th don't overthink the life support. Corals and fish are shipped in tiny bags of water overnight all the time. No reason to fuss with pumps or even heat unless you are a masochist and have the windows down in a snow storm.

6th do over think packing. Cars move, rocks move, things splash, fish jump. Plan accordingly.

7th monitor like you would a new tank. Be prepared for spikes. Dont be scared to do big water changes and a whole lot of them.

I only lost a Copperband on my Marietta to Tampa move using methods above. Good luck to you and not to be a dick but damn I'm glad I'm not having to move mine again. I waited 4 years in this same house before I felt "safe" to get back into the hobby.

Battery Powered bubbler are G.O.A.T.ed imo. I am a college student that moves apartments every 12 months and have had no casualties so far. However 4 hours would be tough. I would premix water in brute and with heaters perhaps before you leave to move the tank. Just so you can get that quick turn around. Also if the sand has been there for awhile I might recommend changing it out because my experience was every time I moved a tank with old sand the detritus and yucky stuff just is too much during a tank move. Also filtration is not the place to skimp out on throw some extra seeded live rock in that sump ahead of time!

4hrs the fish will be fine as long as the bucket has air half way and temp is managed. Slowly aclimate then to the new water

as for the corals I would definitely bag them up individually in baggies from LFS, Uline or Amazon

P.S. use new live sand and new water and have some bacteria handy for ammonia detox from
Die off on rocks.

I just relocated to ATL area and all worked out in a stocked 525xl with all high end.

I second the bubbler, not to sure how well an inverter would run the heater, but a 4 hour drive isn't too bad for heat loss concerning the water. One tip I have is to drain the tank low before moving any rock, this way you don't dirty up the water before draining it into the buckets, and the fish can enjoy clean water on the way to their new home.

Fish and corals are a lot hardier than you think. As long as you bag up the corals well and give the fish enough oxygen (bubbler is perfect) then you can avoid casualties. I have had fish and corals sitting on buckets for several hours breaking down and moving large tanks and have managed to have minimal to no losses. I second the new sand thing. If someone hasn’t cleaned their sand regularly you couldn’t be releasing all kinds of anaerobic nastiness into the water if you try to scoop it out and reuse it. Not worth it given sand is cheap. Good luck and hope it works out for you. 100 gallon tank isn’t too bad to move. It’s the big boys of 200 plus that really scare you 😬😂

Also. If you can have a QT set up at home to move the fish and coral into when you get home you will significantly reduce your casualties. Just my experience

Back