Out Of Town Meltdown

You guys put me over the edge sometimes. Certainly the ONLY explanation is that someone was malicious. Give it a break. Again I am sorry for your loss if you need some help putting it back together let me know.

wildernet;974719 wrote: You guys put me over the edge sometimes. Certainly the ONLY explanation is that someone was malicious. Give it a break. Again I am sorry for your loss if you need some help putting it back together let me know.

How many plugs in your home have come unplugged by itself in the last 5 days?

wildernet;974719 wrote: You guys put me over the edge sometimes. Certainly the ONLY explanation is that someone was malicious. Give it a break. Again I am sorry for your loss if you need some help putting it back together let me know.

I agree with the your sentiments however with the information given there is really only one conclusion. Obviously there are other possibilities however until we find out if the op had a dog, cat, monkey, child, massive 400lbs behemoth upstairs one would have to expect these answers.

I was out of town for 10 days and had a buddy looking over my tank while I was out. Anyway I get a call two days ago and he says my Red Sea 250 Max was unplugged when he got there...

8 days it was plugged in and then unplugged itself? Not likely but what are the forum people here supposed to make of it?

I am simply shocked and do not understand how my tank became "Unplugged".

OP can not fathom what happened or so were lead to believe thus far.

Unfortunately I'd agree, doesn't sound good. Would love to hear more about the case, situation, possibilities but with how it stands wrong or right unfortunately it doesn't look good.

Nugget, what are your ideas at this point? Where's the outlet in comparisons to the tank? Could he or someone tripped over it accidentally? Does the plug sit securely and strongly? Was the instruction to the sitter to do, touch, operate or check on anything that has a cord touching the main? Possibly he checked and emptied the skimmer and some how it hooked on the main cable?

Not the only explanation, but one with more probability attached to it. Still a horrible event no matter the cause.

I suppose we feel like we're just looking out for him even though he's probably thought every option through already and we're just making the situation worse.

Shame that people assume the worst in others. While I couldn't begin to say how it happened, to assume that it had to be the friends doing makes me sad for the decline in trust we humans have for each other. There isn't even circumstantial evidence that this friend did anything intentional or accidental.

Do me a favor, don't ask me to check on your tank when you are out of town. I am not taking the blame should something go wrong.

rdnelson99;974767 wrote: Shame that people assume the worst in others. While I couldn't begin to say how it happened, to assume that it had to be the friends doing makes me sad for the decline in trust we humans have for each other. There isn't even circumstantial evidence that this friend did anything intentional or accidental.

Do me a favor, don't ask me to check on your tank when you are out of town. I am not taking the blame should something go wrong.

Rich,
Will you come watch over my tank when I go out of town?

Sure. LOL. I know how many clippings I could get out of that tank. And I would have an army of volunteers to help. :)

rdnelson99;974767 wrote: Shame that people assume the worst in others. While I couldn't begin to say how it happened, to assume that it had to be the friends doing makes me sad for the decline in trust we humans have for each other. There isn't even circumstantial evidence that this friend did anything intentional or accidental.

I know and I agree but with the limited info I'm saying it's no wonder people are jumping to that conclusion. It's a strange set of circumstances within exceptionally narrow circumstantial evidence towards speculation and extreme speculation. Furthermore I think with the lack of even the basic answers and overtly simplistic series of events this situation tends to lead the horse to water on its own.

It's kinda like I borrowed my friend my car this weekend. This morning I noticed a huge scratch that runs the length of the car. Friend whom is a good guy says it didn't happened in his possession. What do you think happened?

It would not be surprising that people outside my close circle might say my friend is full of it..... Helping draw a better explanation I might include some pertinent info like I park outside in a neighborhood that vandalism frequently happens.... Who knows, the the overwhelming answers may change.

Guess I'm a Realist and in Finance, doubling down on cynicism.

DawgFace;974801 wrote: I know and I agree but with the limited info I'm saying it's no wonder people are jumping to that conclusion. It's a strange set of circumstances within exceptionally narrow circumstantial evidence towards speculation and extreme speculation. Furthermore I think with the lack of even the basic answers and overtly simplistic series of events this situation tends to lead the horse to water on its own.

It's kinda like I borrowed my friend my car this weekend. This morning I noticed a huge scratch that runs the length of the car. Friend whom is a good guy says it didn't happened in his possession. What do you think happened?

It would not be surprising that people outside my close circle might say my friend is full of it..... Helping draw a better explanation I might include some pertinent info like I park outside in a neighborhood that vandalism frequently happens.... Who knows, the the overwhelming answers may change.

Guess I'm a Realist and in Finance, doubling down on cynicism.

If you or your friend parked in any place other than a single car garage it could have been any number of occurrences that caused the scratch. Yes maybe it happened while the friend had possession but could have been without his knowledge. Which is why I wouldn't want to borrow your car. :) I can't afford the gas for your cars let alone the repair bill. Hehehe.

Sorry hero hear about your loss despite how it happened. Hope you get it or the 30 up and going soon

Sorry for your loss. I know exactly how you feel. I had a similar situation happen to me.

UPDATE- After some digging around this week, I have finally found out what happened to my tank. Get ready here is the story. While I was out of town on a cruise, my brother had a few friends over at the house and a few of them spent the night. For some unknown reason, my brother allowed one of his friends to spend the night in my room... Somehow apparently one of my fans ontop of my Red Sea 250 Max began to die and was making a loud noise when the lights turned on the next morning. The "friend" of my brother who was sleeping in my room was awaken by the loud fan and unplugged my ENTIRE tank in order to shut off the fan. As luck would have it, he fell asleep again and never replugged my tank again.

My friend who was taking care of my tank for me had to go out of town for 2 1/2 days and when he came back the water was about 70 degrees, no pumps, no light, simply everything was dead.

I feel comfort knowing the real story now but I am still shocked that I only have an empty tank with bleached/dead corals and red slime everywhere (Tank is cycling from all the dead organisms). I do not know where to point the blame and I don't know if I should confront my brother about paying (partial or full) for the damage. Any suggestions?

Wow, that sucks. Does your brother live with you? I'd probably want to kill him or his idiot buddy who didn't think to plug it back in (at the least, probably would have been somewhat ok in the morning)

At least you have some closure with it and we can stop wondering if the plug miraculously jumped out of the socket.

I would definitely confront your brother about his irresponsibility. Allowing people over to spend the night especially in your room is unacceptable. I would tell him he has two choices. he can either get the money to pay for the damages from his "friend" or he can pay himself. His choice.

And I also would not be asking your friend to watch your tank ever again. It's irresponsible to tell someone you will watch their tank and then to take off out of town for 2 1/2 days. If he was watching your tank like he was supposed to be he would have noticed it unplugged before everything died. If he had to go out of town he should have found or hired someone to come and check on the tank while he was away. he is responsible as well.

donniea1800;975408 wrote: I would definitely confront your brother about his irresponsibility. Allowing people over to spend the night especially in your room is unacceptable. I would tell him he has two choices. he can either get the money to pay for the damages from his "friend" or he can pay himself. His choice.

And I also would not be asking your friend to watch your tank ever again. It's irresponsible to tell someone you will watch their tank and then to take off out of town for 2 1/2 days. If he was watching your tank like he was supposed to be he would have noticed it unplugged before everything died. If he had to go out of town he should have found or hired someone to come and check on the tank while he was away. he is responsible as well.

Assuming (I know, I know...)</em> the "friend" is the same age as the OP, the irresponsible piece is par for the course. Additionally, he's probably still being guided by parental figures dictating his comings and goings. And, if "Bro" is still at home with Mom, Dad and little bro, I'd imagine there has been some dinner time discussions regarding his culpability in this...at least I'd hope so. :shades:

Camellia;974554 wrote: Wow, that's just not right! Who has a key to your house? I would be calling the police....
I just left mine for the first time for 5 days and was on pins and needles to see it. No one had entry to my house while I was gone.
It can't unplug its self can it?

I'm glad you at least know what happened. That was the first thing I thought of was who else (has a key) could have accidentally or intentionally unplugged it!
Good luck with getting any payment!
I can give ya some frags when your ready, LMK.

Back