Over Flow for BeanAnimal

CJ I have no idea what i am going to need. I am in the planning stages and am new drilling tanks...so doing tons of research since I only get one shot with tank. thanks for offer

Hey guys tank is slowly and I mean slowly progressing. Trying to get my plumbing together. the tank is 75 gallon. Looking to get a mag 9.5 return pump...what size plumbing will I need for drain and return. My guess for drain is at most 1.5 inc and 3.4 for return. are most of you guys drilling extra hole for return line or just have it come over the top.

1" drain and 3/4" for return is what most tanks have. You can come over the top with the return but most just drill it. It makes it easier when you want to put some type of a top, like a mesh top, on there to keep fish from carpet surfing and it looks cleaner.

I am going back and forth with bean animal and kit from glass holes. Not my choice wife doesnt want a lot of plumbing lol. My question with the bean animal do you have to have all three drain pipes running to sump or can I join them to make one or two main drains into sump. The reason I ask is that a LFS has an aqueon proflex sump for real cheap and trying to see if I can make it work with the bean animal.

The only draw back I could see is if one gets plugged up. If I were to tie two together I would tie the emergency drain to the one that has the valve part way closed. That way, if worst came to worst, you would still have full capacity of two pipes. If you tie the emergency to the one that has the valve wide open all the time, those two can only drain the capcity of one pipe while the other one is limited to how far the valve is open/closed.

Edit:
Having said that, the three drains don't take up that much room if done correctly.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
775282=37901-023.jpg
>
775282=37901-023.jpg
class="gc-images" title="023.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Thanks Rich for your input. you are right it doesn't take much space. Just trying to weigh my options. I am 95% sure I want to go bean animal. Looking to start drilling some. I need to find a smaller sump though to fit my stand.

If you want to swing by some night after work or on a weekend you can check mine out. I think once you saw it and listen to how quiet it is you will be sold. LOL

de1nonly23;773417 wrote: CJ I have no idea what i am going to need.

I would start by reading Beans web site. Great web site.

http://beananimal.com/projects/silent-and-fail-safe-aquarium-overflow-system.aspx">http://beananimal.com/projects/silent-and-fail-safe-aquarium-overflow-system.aspx</a>

And this.
[IMG]http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1541946">http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1541946</a>

BeanAnimal is a member here but a few slammed him and he has not posted anymore.

bruce 1;775296 wrote: BeanAnimal is a member here but a few slammed him and he has not posted anymore.

Not sure why anyone would have done that. He is a genius in my book. I will never change from a bean animal if I have a choice.

Look up his post here.

Edit: I have talked with him several times. (in emails) Very nice guy and sounds like he knows his stuff. I hope mine will be up and running this weekend.

you can run them as tight as you want. just as Rich said you could reduce to 2 drains. the emergency can dump anywhere in the sump as it will only be used for 30 sec +/-.

4706783761_a493bb6273_b.jpg
alt="" />

4706783733_ba2b3ba338_b.jpg
alt="" />

BeanAnimal;787893 wrote: Correct: I had a run in with one of your moderator/board members who, frankly, acted like a complete asshat instead of an adult. Sad really...

In any case, thanks for the kind words (dropped in here looking for something else and stumbled on this thread). If you have questions, you know where to find me :)

Don't know the history there but I can tell you that I love my overflow. :) You put some thought into that.

+2. We love ours and we are starting another on a small tank soon! Thank
You! Holley & Hal

rdnelson99;787930 wrote: Don't know the history there but I can tell you that I love my overflow. :) You put some thought into that.

What's the purpose of running the air tube from the emergency drain back to the overflow box? In all the drawings that I have seen, it's setup that way, so I'm assuming there is a purpose. I'm just curious as to why I couldn't run the tube somewhere else? Is it to baffle the air sucking noise?

x1000000000000000

love mine

Edit:
JBDreefs;787943 wrote: What's the purpose of running the air tub from the emergency drain back to the overflow box? In all the drawings that I have seen, it's setup that way, so I'm assuming there is a purpose. I'm just curious as to why I couldn't run the tube somewhere else? Is it to baffle the air sucking noise?

think its just a mess up

JBDreefs;787943 wrote: What's the purpose of running the air tube from the emergency drain back to the overflow box? In all the drawings that I have seen, it's setup that way, so I'm assuming there is a purpose. I'm just curious as to why I couldn't run the tube somewhere else? Is it to baffle the air sucking noise?

Figured it out. I think the last picture on this thread is not correct (according to bean's website).

If the water in the overflow box rises it covers the end of the tube and turns it into a full siphon thereby sucking the overflow dry. It is a safety.

rdnelson99;770905 wrote: Here are a couple of pics of the one I built to go with my Bean Animal. For what it is worth, I wouldn't trade the Bean Animal for anything. Well, OK maybe a million bucks but you get the idea.

i need an overflow very similar to this... did you make it and just silicon it together?

B

Edit: question.. why the third overflow with the tube? is that an emergency overflow? and why the tube?

B

Yes I built it but I used Weldon to assemble it and then silicone to attach it to the tank. Silicone doesn't adhere well to acrylic but since the water level in the tank is higher than the level in the overflow it is actually pushing it tighter against the tank walls.

The one with the tube is the partial drain. The tube allows air in. The middle one is a siphon which is why you adjust the ball valve to control how much it siphons out. The last one in an emergency overflow and only functions at start up or if the others get plugged and can't keep up.

Back