Overflow and return advice

dine

Market
Reaction score
So I’ve narrowed down my tank dimensions and got all my quotes. The final piece of the puzzle so I can place the order is deciding on the overflow and return. I think I’m pretty much settled on the synergy shadow overflow (reef savvy ghost was my first choice but it’s out of stock and I can’t get anyone from reef savvy to return a call or an email for an eta). However if anyone thinks there’s a better/quieter option out there I’d still like to hear it.

As for the returns. Tanks dimensions will be 60x24x16. Should I do 1 or 2 return lines? Any pros/cons to either?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I should add that from a flow perspective I
Plan to run mp10s (possibly 40s, worried about a sand storm @16in tall)

I have the synergy and it’s great but you should definitely use gate valves. I used regular ball valves and it’s really difficult to tune it.

If I could do a custom tank I would go with the h2overflow, by customaquariums.com. It hardly takes up any space inside the tank.

If I could do a custom tank I would go with the h2overflow, by customaquariums.com. It hardly takes up any space inside the tank.

I’m more worried about outside the tank then in. But since you brought it up is the h2overflow a smaller footprint inside then the shadow?

I have the synergy and it’s great but you should definitely use gate valves. I used regular ball valves and it’s really difficult to tune it.

Thanks for the advice. It’s all going to be fate valves since noise is my primary concern

Ok I looked it up. It’s a neat design! Unfortunately with noise being my primary concern I think I have to rule it out. It doesn’t allow for a bean animal setup and a quick YouTube search revealed mostly noise complaints....

For a system this size should I do 3/4 or 1” drain lines?

2 return lines recommended or is 1 adequate?

I wouldn't go smaller than 1" drain lines. There is zero reason that I can think of. Running a proper bean animal means you pretty much can't go too big on the drains. Within reason of course.

I'm running 1" drains on a coast to coast overflow with a bean animal setup on a 40 breeder and it works perfect. Also running 1" drains (basically dual herbie overflows in a reef ready tank) on a 120 gallon and they keep up with no problem.

I would do dual 1" returns but drop them down to 3/4" near the outlet. It's easy to reduce - but you can't go bigger once the plumbing is installed.

I wouldn't go smaller than 1" drain lines. There is zero reason that I can think of. Running a proper bean animal means you pretty much can't go too big on the drains. Within reason of course.

I'm running 1" drains on a coast to coast overflow with a bean animal setup on a 40 breeder and it works perfect. Also running 1" drains (basically dual herbie overflows in a reef ready tank) on a 120 gallon and they keep up with no problem.

I would do dual 1" returns but drop them down to 3/4" near the outlet. It's easy to reduce - but you can't go bigger once the plumbing is installed.

I’m not against 1” by any means. My other tanks have all been 1” drain and 3/4” return. The reason I asked about 3/4 return is it affects the narrowness of the external box and every inch counts behind the tank on this build. If the total depth from the wall gets too much I’ll lose my ability to get the 5ft length I’ve always wanted!

@imm1967 how did you do your coast to coast set up. Ideally that’s what I would prefer but my DIY skills are not up to snuff for the display I’m afraid. I’m going to try my hand at building my own sumo but at least that’s hidden away if it turns out ugly lol

@imm1967 how did you do your coast to coast set up. Ideally that’s what I would prefer but my DIY skills are not up to snuff for the display I’m afraid. I’m going to try my hand at building my own sumo but at least that’s hidden away if it turns out ugly lol

I drilled the glass myself, measured and bought pieces of 3/16" glass from Kennesaw glass and siliconed in place. I'll try to snap a couple pictures later today.

If you are trying to keep back of the tank as close to the wall as possible it's probably not the best choice. My plumbing ticks straight out the back of the tank with 90 degree elbows glued into the bulkheads. I would say you need to be at least 4" away from the wall with the setup I have.

I drilled the glass myself, measured and bought pieces of 3/16" glass from Kennesaw glass and siliconed in place. I'll try to snap a couple pictures later today.

If you are trying to keep back of the tank as close to the wall as possible it's probably not the best choice. My plumbing ticks straight out the back of the tank with 90 degree elbows glued into the bulkheads. I would say you need to be at least 4" away from the wall with the setup I have.

From the dimensions I’ve gathered from various external overflows that’s about the same. I have 4” to spare but I don’t have 6”. I’d love to see a pic of your end result if you have one

Here's the first one I did myself a few years ago on a 60 gallon cube - worked perfect. I'll get you photos or a video of the current setup on my 40 gallon this afternoon when I have a few xtra minutes to be downstairs.

The plumbing could be made more compact that what you see in this video.

Back