OVERFLOW Design

snowmansnow

Market
Reaction score
I'm designing the specifics of my next reef display, and I'd like some input.
The tank specifics will be pretty simple. Starfire / Rimless / 48x24x16. Its really a very simply glass box.

The overflow is what I want to inquire about.

Here are the types of overflow I've had in the past along with what I feel are pros and cons of each.
<u>Internal (Glass wall type)</u>
Pros_____
-Very simple to adjust using stand pipes
-Proven design
Cons_____
-Stuff gets in there! Getting a fish out of one is HARD work
-Ugly. Let's face it, its an extra "wall" inside the tank
-Takes up a lot of tank space
-Disrupts flow

<u>Coast to Coast Internal with a Bean Animal</u>
Pros_____
-Excellent surface skimming
-Easy to remove things
-SILENT once you get it dialed in
Cons_____
-Can be difficult to get dialed in
-Things can get stuck in siphon tubes (I assume larger overflow tubes would help)
-The internal full length box, although thin, is an algae magnet
-Takes up real estate since you can't really put anything under the box
-May be the most complicated overflow design known to man

<u>External Overflow Box</u> My most recent
Pros_____
-Keeps the tank clean and unobstructed
-No flow issues from a "box"
-Easy to access simple to adjust
- Critters don't escape into the overflow box very often
Cons_____
-Poor surface skimming

So, I'm wondering what have been your experiences? If you were setting up a new tank what would be your ideal overflow design, and why? Are there particular companies that build specific overflows specifically well?

Thanks for your input and help designing my next glass box system.
- B

Bgcoop8784;994222 wrote: How about a Ghost type overflow with external Bean Animal, all the benefits of coast to coast, nothing big in the tank, with a gate valve it's easy to get dialed in.

I'm not familiar with a ghost overflow.. I'll google it

Ghost overflow (for those who are also wondering)

<div class="gc_ifarem_title">New GHOST Overflow Improved (generation two by Reef Savvy) - YouTube</div>

It sounds like you are making a custom tank. I would have the maker notch a portion on the back wall like the one in the video.

Good luck!

In my opinion, the ghost overflow should be used as an after thought, not in the planning stage.

JBDreefs;994227 wrote: In my opinion, the ghost overflow should be used as an after thought, not in the planning stage.

why? help me think through this

The box on the inside of the tank is not necessary. While skinny and small, it is still not necessary. I think the design in the video I posted looks cleaner than the ghost option.

I will admit that the ghost overflow is a great product for people to use as an option to modify an undrilled tank.

I just think you could have an even cleaner look if you incorporate the external overflow into the makers plans.

I guess it would be possible that the ghost overflow is a cheaper route, but I doubt it.

I am actually in the process of building a new tank as well and I would love to know who you ended up selecting for your tank builder and why. Mine is going to be slightly different dimensions (60 x 24 x 20).

to me the box seems VERY much needed.. Without it you just have 2 big holes where the water exits. With it you have effective surface skimming over a large area.

JBDreefs;994226 wrote:

It sounds like you are making a custom tank. I would have the maker notch a portion on the back wall like the one in the video.

Good luck!

I guess I kinda am... I've come to the realization that its REALLY hard to get a big box tank that I'll be happy with for a decade

SnowManSnow;994238 wrote: to me the box seems VERY much needed.. Without it you just have 2 big holes where the water exits. With it you have effective surface skimming over a large area.

You're right if we're talking about modifying a tank. The only way to add an external overflow would be to drill holes through the back wall. These holes would not provide good surface skimming.

What I plan to do is have the tank maker actually notch the top of the back panel. It would look something like this:

Illustration.png
alt="" />

Water spills over the notch and into the external box, and therefore gives you the surface skimming. As demonstrated in the video, a temporary, or removable weir can then be used/installed if desired.

Bgcoop8784;994222 wrote: How about a Ghost type overflow with external Bean Animal, all the benefits of coast to coast, nothing big in the tank, with a gate valve it's easy to get dialed in.

This is what I'll do on my next tank. I dislike how much room my internal overflow takes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am going through the same process with my new tank as well. Unfortunately the Ghost is no longer for sale I believe. Texas Holey Rocks makes an overflow that is similar to the Ghost but doesn't look as good imo. Glass Holes makes one that has good reviews also.

You can buy an exact ghost overflow clone for $150 on eBay and it looks top quality. I honestly wouldn't go any other direction.

Only reason you can't buy them from reef savvy anymore is because it was cutting into their tank business. Now people are buying whole tanks from them just to get the ghost overflow. Not like it's discontinued or anything.

Edit -- it IS discontinued.. It's not defective. That's probably better :)

tonymission;994306 wrote: You can buy an exact ghost overflow clone for $150 on eBay and it looks top quality. I honestly wouldn't go any other direction.

Only reason you can't buy them from reef savvy anymore is because it was cutting into their tank business. Now people are buying whole tanks from them just to get the ghost overflow. Not like it's discontinued or anything.

Edit -- it IS discontinued.. It's not defective. That's probably better :)
I can't find one on ebay. You got a link?

does MRC make an overflow like the ghost? I'm really surprised they don't. I was super impressed with their shop and equipment when I picked up my acrylic tank a few years back. Take about some awesome CNC stuff.

B

Back