Overflow Drainage Emergency

Thanks for the siphon info. Makes sense. Also, great point about the number of 90-degree turns. There were more before, nine (including loc line connection) as I try to recall from the office, vs. what I believe now to be five. Not sure if flow through the UV sterilizer cancels anything out.

Home-made Durso with 1" pipe directly into the bulkhead. But, the common theme, that's what was there before.

The more we work through this, the more it's starting to look like my lessening of the head loss is the primary culprit. Not that I've abandoned the split drain idea. Just wanting to work through things systematically to lessen "down time".

Now we're getting to the crux of the problem.

Yep, reducing the number of 90s adds to the amount of flow actually getting back up to the top. So even if you'd used the same Mag pump but reconfigured the plumbing, to get rid of some of the 90 degree turns, the flow would have increased significantly. Flow through a UV or other device that's diverted from the return, also reduces flow.

The Durso does need a 1 1/4" pipe with a reducer down to 1" to the bulkhead to work properly. See here: http://www.dursostandpipes.com/make-your-own-diy">http://www.dursostandpipes.com/make-your-own-diy</a> . Read that site - it's got a lot of good information, and it's not complicated or lengthy.

That might not solve the problem on its own, but it will help.

I'd still split the drain. If EVER anything clogs one drain, you won't want them both clogged - ie if a snail gets down into the drain and gets stuck in the one opening.. I've seen that happen, especially with a home-made drain pipe with no intake screen on it. Redundancy is always a good thing.

Jenn

OK. Plan of attack:
<ul>
<li>Install a gate valve on the output side of the pump. This will likely require the addition of another 90 degree elbow. These two may solve the problem.</li>
<li>Split the drain lines. In the event I need to remove the standpipes, then re-plumb with 1 1/4" pipe, reducing to 1" at the bulk heads</li>
</ul>

Mission Accomplished with the first bullet above. Second bullet is definitely on the list of future upgrades. Didn't want any more down time than was absolutely necessary. Fish seem fine so far.

Special thanks to all who helped, especially Elfloyd and JennM. I appreciate you taking the time to help me fix my mistake.

Back