Overflow noise driving me batttttty

seedless reefer

Market
Reaction score
Ok lets give Loren some ideas.

I have a 125 with 600 gpm overflow. I have not worked up the nerve to let Chris drill it in place yet but I may if your help fails me.

Yall know the problem with over flow the noise, gurgles, sucking sounds and I can't stand it any longer.

Heres how it is set up:

Box is plumbed straight down the back of the tank with 3/4 PVC. It comes to a 90 which points to the front of the tank and a short piece of 3/4 takes it into the open space of the stand. It then goes to a 3/4 tee with two pieces of 3/4 pipe one going left and one right.

The left piece goes to a 90 then down to my sump with a 3/4" ball valve for flow control. Right side is identical.

Here is what I have tried:

In my overflow box drain hole I built a stand pipe kind of thing which was a small piece of 3/ 4 pipe on all three sides of a tee, a cap with a drilled hole on the top and a 90 facing down back into the drain box.

No sound reduction at all as air is whistling from hole in the cap and still lots of gurgles.

What I want to try (I think): cut the pipe coming down from the overflow and install a tee just below the drain box go out and up the side of the drain box to act like a stand pipe and/or cut the 3/4 install a 3/4 to 1 1/4 bushing and plumb down to the sump/fuge in 1 1/4.

I just want to stop the noise pleeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaassssssssssse.

I put a durso in my overflow and it is real quiet. I had to sand off some of the 90 elbow to get it to fit and I think it was a 1/8th in hole in the cap. works great.

On my 125 Im using the clear flexible tubing and a Durso standpipe in my 600gph overflow straight down to the sump with no gurgling/noise. I have the end of the tube around 3-4" submersed into my sump. Now you do have some salt creep,but I fixed that with a piece of 1/4" acrylic I just put over the top of my sump on that side.Keeps all the salt creep from exiting the sump and making a mess. The outcome was total silence!

Have you tried covering the box on the outside overflow with some acrylic? I did that on my 120 when it was up and running with a 1200 gph overflow. It worked pretty well.

Dannybradley helped keep me sane by telling me to run a piece of tubing down the drain pipe of the overflow, have you treied this?

I just added a bulk head type strainer and it worked for me. I was planning on useing the strainer with a whole drilled in the top and a hard airline hose inserted in it. The air house can be moved up and down until there is no noise. I also used the hard airline hose alone to decrease the noise until i got a strainer. This was an idea that was given to me and it worked with the strainer alone.

Hope this helps

joe

Most of the noise is coming from the overflow itself.

I'll try the line in the pipe tommorow but the stand pipe in the overflow doesn't work.

Rawn I may need to come look at your standpipe to see what you did differently.

I did use a standpipe from a different drain box that was made with 1/2" that fit right into the bulkhead of the overflow but it cut the flow from about 600 gph to about 50 if I had to guess.

Back