painting the back of tank?

markl

Market
Reaction score
whats the best paint for the back of a glass tank? im going with black. i did my 90 gallon in blue spray paint but it chipped easy. is there a certtain brand or should i brush it on. my first tank had almost a rubbery feeling
paint and never had a problem with it.

thanks mark

IMO buy the film that goes on the back. It is easy and you can replace it whenever you want.

a>

thats more then i wanted to spend. mayybe a sighn shop may have something like that.

i painted my tank about 6 months ago with black latex paint worked great. although you will need do do a few coats. on my 37 gallon i think i did 4 or 5. but you can't see through it at all.

Krylon Fusion spray paint. They sell it at Walmart. Do several light coats allowing it to dry between coats.

Darren24;145056 wrote: Krylon Fusion spray paint. They sell it at Walmart. Do several light coats allowing it to dry between coats.

+1

you don't have to worry about this paint leaching back into your tank. i sprayed some of my return elbows black using this paint and i've never had issues with it. i believe the paint creates a chemical bond with plastic making it "permanent"?

of course, since you're painting glass, i don't know if other paints are safe and won't leach. i don't see why you're painting your glass black... black poster board from kroger is $1... cut to size?

YOu can buy coroplast from a sign store in black. It's like $20 for a huge sheet. It's corregated plastic so it's waterproof. You can velcro it to the back then take it off and wipe it down or if you want to scrape the back glass, etc.

Hey, I'm cheap!!!

I had to figure a way to cover the back of my tank that was already in opertation and only six inches from the wall.

I took a piece of heavy black plastic cut from a roll that I bought at Home Depot. I taped it to the back of the tank and it looks good. As the coraline algae has grown, it is no longer noticeable.

I have Hefty bags as well. But the plastic is not as thick and is shinny. I did not think it would look as good and might not have held its shape as well either.

Back