Paly Poison

I saw that this morning. That's terrible, glad they are okay. I'd like to see a picture of the tank before they cleaned; guessing the palys had taken over.

Same thing happened a while back when someone boiled rocks.

The studies are thin out there - it's very difficult to determine which paly's will emit a dangerous level of toxins. I'm wondering what changed in their setup to cause the issue after a year.

Hopefully a reliable way to determine which ones can be considered potentially deadly will come around at some point in the near future.

Best I can tell, they were breaking down their tank and scrubbing palys off the rocks in order to clean them. I've scrubbed stuff off rocks before and it can get really, really messy with the brush bristles kicking all kinds of crap around. For me the takeaway is be a little careful when scrubbing rocks. Even if there are no palys on it, it's still a good idea to wear gloves when doing it. Handling live rock leads to little abrasions and cuts and some rubber gloves are just a good idea.

I believed we can dispose them in bleach if we decide to remove it. Maybe we can come up with a video to dispose them properly. Better be safe than sorry nowadays, especially when we all have kids/ family around

I was thinking the same thing. Whenever I scrub paly's off the rock I do it on the side of my house and outside the fence so my dog can't be exposed. I also wear some rubber gloves to avoid scrapes and cuts. Finally, I do it underwater in a 5g bucket. I think the underwater part is key to prevent that wet gunk from flying all over the place. Ever scrubbed a rock with any sort of stiff brustled brush and noticed the splatter that can get everywhere?

Other than the 3 precautions I take, what are some alternate ways of getting rid of them? Bleach would certainly do it but I'm not familiar with the method.

Back