Par level for 40 breeder sps?

write2bfree

Market
Reaction score
Hi everyone! Still new to the community and I was wondering if anyone could tell me a rough estimate on par levels for a 40 gallon breeder?

Im currently using a coralife aqualight 150w MH with hamilton 14000k bulbs. Most of my sps are in mid (about half the height of the tank) to high areas. Also im using a current u.s.a. led 36w (it bleached out one of my corals so I had to place it lower which was strange). All parameters are in good range.

I see some growth but im just wondering if I need to get more lighting to get better growth like use my ballast 150w with something like a 250w + MH and actinic? This would bring me to something like 400w and have it about 2 inches off water. Still trying to learn growing nice acros. Thank you for reading and pleaae excuse me if I sound like I have no idea what im doing.

Below is some frags ive just placed for now. Im going to glue them down once I get things good but they are under my MH 150w ballast for now.

b0ac98bca1f0bb101046749ab03e762a.jpg
alt="" />

Also, par meters are super expensive so im just trying to get a rough idea of everything.

You can come borrow mine with a deposit bro ;)
Seems like you maybe have your light too close but would have to see numbers

Parameters will help as well. If you are bleaching stuff, you may want to cut down your photoperiod and slowly bring it bring it back to where you want it.

tonymission;1013522 wrote: You can come borrow mine with a deposit bro ;)
Seems like you maybe have your light too close but would have to see numbers

Tony, I would love to borrow yours sometime after he uses it if that's cool...

Hahaha thanks tony! But I dont trust myself borrowing anything from anyone only cause ive had bad experiences with borrowing items...remember the cup you was going to lend me and I had to ask you for a zip lock bag hahahahha

Declanisadog;1013525 wrote: Tony, I would love to borrow yours sometime after he uses it if that's cool...

Sure Ben, but I use it a lot so you'd have to get it back quickly. I offered to the OP because he basically lives across the street and I could hunt him down. Lol

write2bfree;1013531 wrote: Hahaha thanks tony! But I dont trust myself borrowing anything from anyone only cause ive had bad experiences with borrowing items...remember the cup you was going to lend me and I had to ask you for a zip lock bag hahahahha

Haha true. I'll have to stop by one of these days and see the setup. I can bring it then.

tonymission;1013535 wrote: Sure Ben, but I use it a lot so you'd have to get it back quickly. I offered to the OP because he basically lives across the street and I could hunt him down. Lol

I'm in no rush. Anytime your going to the office, and think of it, I can come grab it from you then fedex it back to you the next day.

tonymission;1013535 wrote: Sure Ben, but I use it a lot so you'd have to get it back quickly. I offered to the OP because he basically lives across the street and I could hunt him down. Lol

Haha true. I'll have to stop by one of these days and see the setup. I can bring it then.
For sure tony

My water parameters are:
Nitrate: around 5ppm
Nitrite:0
Phosphate: around 5
Ammonia: 0
Calcium: around 400
Alk: 8
PH: 8.2

What test are you using for phosphates? That's either sky high (not good) or a bad test (more likely).

tonymission;1013571 wrote: What test are you using for phosphates? That's either sky high (not good) or a bad test (more likely).
Im using API. Got it from a friend so im waiting to use this all up. Any suggestions on good test kits? Its weird because I just took a look at my other corals and they seem to be happy except the yellow one (tony i forgot the name bro). It actually is turning into this light green now.

If it's the pink lemonade then you're going to get that green from excess nutrients or not enough lighting typically. Are you seeing algae growth?

tonymission;1013574 wrote: If it's the pink lemonade then you're going to get that green from excess nutrients or not enough lighting typically. Are you seeing algae growth?
Yeah its not the pink lemonade. The pink lemonade is looking good (yellow and small polyps extending). Its the other yellow one. The one that had a ****** structure.

Oh... RR yellow mamba? I can't even remember now lol
Which tank did we get it from?

tonymission;1013577 wrote: Oh... RR yellow mamba? I can't even remember now lol
The left side. Hahaha. Okay im writing that down.

tonymission;1013577 wrote: Oh... RR yellow mamba? I can't even remember now lol
Starting to grow green polyps instead of yellow polyps...hahaha

write2bfree;1013580 wrote: Starting to grow green polyps instead of yellow polyps...hahaha

That's a deep water Acro and probably more expert level since I've killed one already and can't imagine anyone considering me an expert. :D

Back