PAR Meter

dough

Supporting
Reaction score
Does anyone have a PAR meter that I can rent or barrow for a few hours near Lawrenceville?

I keep losing SPS frags that I put in the tank and I'm thinking that they maybe getting too much light.

No PAR meter here but curious what kind of lights you’re running over what size tank.

No PAR meter here but curious what kind of lights you’re running over what size tank.
So I'm running a 58 gallon tank with a hybrid T5 and Nano Box Reef retro fit LED system. In fact I bought quite a few SPS frags from you at the Expo and none made it. Not blaming you as I had bought some nice frags from you for my previous set you that did well. Those did not survive the transfer to my new system.

That’s a shame. How far are your lights off the tank? My sps are getting between 450-250 PAR depending how far down they are placed. Curious to see how much par they’re getting in your tank. Sometimes new tanks and SPS just don’t mix. When I upgraded tanks I ran the new tank side by side with the old tank for 6 months, it was seeded with the old tanks filter media and rocks. Still lost some frags and colonies.

That’s a shame. How far are your lights off the tank? My sps are getting between 450-250 PAR depending how far down they are placed. Curious to see how much par they’re getting in your tank. Sometimes new tanks and SPS just don’t mix. When I upgraded tanks I ran the new tank side by side with the old tank for 6 months, it was seeded with the old tanks filter media and rocks. Still lost some frags and colonies.

Lights are about 10" off the tank. The "new" system has been set up over a year now. I just need to understand the PAR numbers. I mean SPS that are typically bullet proof aren't surviving lasting long.

Does anyone have a PAR meter that I can rent or barrow for a few hours near Lawrenceville?

I keep losing SPS frags that I put in the tank and I'm thinking that they maybe getting too much light.

I don’t have one but I’d be willing to go in on renting one from brs or something. I have no idea what my numbers are like but I would love to know before I’m making the same post your making.

Unless you “know a guy” about the only way to do a par meter is to rent it from BRS. Here’s a link e details

On PAR... there’s a good chance you are blasting stuff. Yes PAR is important, but Wow manufactures have really hinged on it. I really think most sps are just fine between 200-300ish par maybe 300, yet so many new hobbyists are sold the idea of “the more par the better”.

It’s funny that just the other day I saw one of those BRS vids that was asking which is more important PAR or PUR... the answer is “yes” ha.

All that said it’s also very possible your lights aren’t the issue at all. Whenever folks loose sps... my first look is always to ALK. Make sure that alk didn’t swing too low for some reason.

Actually with any of my tanks here is my checklist “be it mental”...
1. Alk
2. Temp
3. Pests
4. Contamination (including TDS from rodi)
- also did I start dozing anything recently
5. Lights / flow / other measurable changes
6. Other parameters

Probably the hardest one to figure out is “pests”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a few more thoughts:
When you loose sps... do they all go the same way? What generally happens?

Polyps out but loss of color, then they fade?
Tissue loss?
Is it from the tips and ends or from the base?
Splotchy tissue loss?
B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The club could definitely use a par meter to rent out to its members. I'll try and push that again soon :).

I’ve debated on buying one to rent out but the security and product return condition is a concern. Can you expect people to make a $200 deposit to rent and return the balance when they return it and all works

When you loose sps... do they all go the same way? What generally happens?
So as you mentioned above it is a process of elimination. I have test kits and meters etc to check water but lack a PAR meter as tool in my kit.

Basic the two issues. Fade from the tips down or lose color and fade away to a gray stick.

I rented the BRS rout and it worked out pretty good. I also agree with Brandon that it PAR & PUR, all my light is focused on the 400-500nm range.

On a side note we are looking at getting a club PAR meter to loan out to members and we might have this soon. More to follow on that...Jin our club president is pushing to get this in place!

FWIW, the ARC had an Apogee meter some years back for members to use.
The primary issue was keeping track of it (it was eventually 'lost'). I would suggest a custodial agent/individual to be responsible, if this were to be done again.
The issues include documenting possession, time of possession, returns, operational check upon return & liability for damages or loss.
Apogees are convenient, but the Seneye is superior in some aspects, however essentially requires a PC/tablet to work.
Most other options are very expensive (~$2000+)

How about if ARC buys one and gives it to a sponsoring LFS to rent out to members? They can make a few bucks off it in exchange.

I rented one from Pure Reef once for $5 per day, but they said it doesn't work well on LED lights (don't remember the brand/model).

Instead of working out a time with an individual, it would probably be easier for people to rent from an LFS with store hours.

Perhaps start with one this year, and if it goes well, get another next year for a different area of Atlanta.

How about if ARC buys one and gives it to a LFS to rent out to members? They can make a few bucks off it in exchange.

I rented one from Pure Reef once for $5 per day, but they said it doesn't work well on LED lights (don't remember the brand/model).

Instead of working out a time with an individual, it would probably be easier for people to rent from an LFS with store hours.

Perhaps start with one this year, and if it goes well, get another next year for a different area of Atlanta.
LFS probably doesn't care to be held responsible for someone else’s unit. With everything they have going in maintaining the store, taking on someone else’s responsibility to rent out a meter and protect it doesn’t seem worth while. For that they could rent one of there own

LFS probably doesn't care to be held responsible for someone else’s unit. With everything they have going in maintaining the store, taking on someone else’s responsibility to rent out a meter and protect it doesn’t seem worth while. For that they could rent one of there own

Don't know unless we ask. And it would bring people to their store. They could also take and refund a deposit, like BRS, limiting any liability.

Last edited:
Actually with any of my tanks here is my checklist “be it mental”...
1. Alk
2. Temp
3. Pests
4. Contamination (including TDS from rodi)
- also did I start dozing anything recently
5. Lights / flow / other measurable changes
6. Other parameters

I agree completely with this. It could be the PAR, but it is less likely. Also, I’ve placed several acropora frags and colonies in low light (under 50 PAR), and some of them survived for years with slower growth rate and colors. As such, i find it better to undershoot lighting than to overshoot.

My order of probability is:
  • Temperature
  • Salinity
  • Alk
  • Pests
  • Livestock irritation (like hermits crawling on them)
  • Nitrogen (Ammonia,... Nitrate)
  • ... then Lights

All that said: I have a Seneye that you can use. And I’ve use our LICOR at work to verify that the Seneye is reasonably accurate.

I rented the one from Pure Reef. It gave the expected readings on my LEDs. It was one of the popular models (I forget which), so I don't know what "not working well" with LEDs means.

So Steve Burton, thank you sir, was kind enough to drop by today to so some PAR readings.

In the middle of the tank, 1" under the water we were getting 380. Drop down to the top of my LR we got 240. Of course it drops off as we moved from L to R or front to back. So we can say the placement for the SPS would have been on that 240 or less range.

Back