PAR Wars

melev;191935 wrote: No, I did reply, but I'll reply again. Yes I'll build it. LOL And in the next 10 days!

you don't have to explain yourself to him........lol

mark i results are interesting. i would think that 400watts would give you a better par at the bottom of the tank. i was thinking you would have at least 200 24" deep.

melev;191935 wrote: No, I did reply, but I'll reply again. Yes I'll build it. LOL And in the next 10 days!

Marc,

I sent you an email. Let me know if you respond, and dont hear back from me. I may have to assassinate my computer.

sagent3000;191939 wrote: mark i results are interesting. i would think that 400watts would give you a better par at the bottom of the tank. i was thinking you would have at least 200 24" deep.

Remember that it is a 20,000K bulb in the center, and the reason for the 400w bulb is so the PAR would be consistent in comparison to the 10,000K bulbs on each side.

melev;191952 wrote: Remember that it is a 20,000K bulb in the center, and the reason for the 400w bulb is so the PAR would be consistent in comparison to the 10,000K bulbs on each side.

i still would think that you would get a higher par having 250watt and 400 watt. these results are really making me question should i do 2 - 400watt and 1 - 1000watt, because if your par is that low on a 24" deep tank it will be a whole lot lower on a 30" deep tank

Keep in mind that a lot of this is directly correlated to the parabolic shape of your reflectors. They are going to have a focal point (focus) and the light intensity will be maximized at that distance. The LumenBright post I mentioned previously gets into this a little more:

http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16804">http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16804</a>

I really liked the itemized PAR/Frequency/Coral lists that Mark assembled oin his test page. I would be very curious to know how other very successful coral growers' numbers compare.

sagent3000;191956 wrote: i still would think that you would get a higher par having 250watt and 400 watt. these results are really making me question should i do 2 - 400watt and 1 - 1000watt, because if your par is that low on a 24" deep tank it will be a whole lot lower on a 30" deep tank

I bet I could get higher numbers if I lowered the reflector down to 9" off the water. :lol:

there is this guy around here with this UGLY BB tank he showed us his par once and knowing him he will show it again to show off. does anyone know where he is? i think he has 175MH.

mark you use DE or SE bulbs? 19" off the water is HIGH but you have GREAT growth so i must just be bright hungry

I'm using SE bulbs, 18" off the water. I may lower them to 16" but with these reflectors, you don't want to get any closer. I really like all the space I have to work in my tank.

clouds1.jpg
alt="" />

Whoops... just kidding. Not quite that much space!

tons_of_space1.jpg
alt="" />

tons_of_space2.jpg
alt="" />

Please keep in mind the lower PAR at the base of the tank has produced perfectly good results for years, and the stuff up high is growing nicely. That toadstool was getting a mere 162 PAR in its core for years.

Glxtrix is whom you are thinking about, who added some input to this article:
a>

1000watt, because if your par is that low on a 24" deep tank it will be a whole lot lower on a 30" deep tank

For reference, with crappy Hamilton reflectors, my 1000w 14kK bulbs produce around 300 PAR on the sandbed of my 26" tall tank. If you used something like a Lumenbright reflector with a 1000w bulb, I'm afraid you may cook anything near the top of your tank...

melev;192071 wrote: Glxtrix is whom you are thinking about, who added some input to this article

Oh, we all know who it is - glxtrix's obsession with unnatural-looking (aka "bare bottom") is well known around here, and has become the butt of a lot of jokes... :)

You guys are so mean to each other. That's why this member lives a few states away. :lol:

And yes, I hate barebottom as well. :yuk:

mojo;192131 wrote: For reference, with crappy Hamilton reflectors, my 1000w 14kK bulbs produce around 300 PAR on the sandbed of my 26" tall tank. If you used something like a Lumenbright reflector with a 1000w bulb, I'm afraid you may cook anything near the top of your tank...

i was going to go with these reflectors when i was doing

250 400 250

Double - Ended Lumenarc III Mini Stealth DE 250/400W
http://www.hellolights.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1474">http://www.hellolights.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1474</a>

you think i will be alright with these??

You'll probably be fine. Unfortunately, without a PAR meter with the exact reflector, bulb, ballast, and tank setup, it's hard to say. LAIII's are good reflectors. You're probably already aware of them, but be sure to check out the LumenBrights as well...

Back