Parameter Question

rk4435;1004821 wrote: All of my kits are Salifert and expire in 2017 and 2019. My Mag and Calc seemed like large drops so I tested them both twice to verify.

There is a bit of human error in the tests since they rely on the human eye to identify a minute color change. Any parameter change is perhaps debatable within 20-30 but mine seem to be rather large.

However, this is the first time I have checked all parameters seven days in a row so we will see where it goes and how it drives change in my tank.

Yeah, you're off to a great start for getting control. Would you be able to test your newly mixed salt to make sure it's not it that is low already?

I did test it last night and will do so again tomorrow night. I wondering if I got a "bad" mix or if my method of preparing water is causing it to precipitate out before I ever get it in the tank.

I've come across forums/ threads that say that many of the enhanced salts are intended for quick mix and use. I add a lot of salt following a water change then adjust my mixing tank throughout the week to get to the desired level for my Saturday water change.

After 8 days of testing I've learned that my tank is more stable than I thought. The parameters swing a bit from day to day but it is obvious that most of it is due to human error based on the sight test from when one color turns to another. I did notice that my Mag was repeatedly low (1150 plus / minus) using Reef Crystal salt so I am switching and we'll see how that impacts my parameters.

Switching to what? RC is a pretty good salt. Could it just be that you are using the mag at a high rate? If it were me, I would does a little bit of mag and get it up to 1350 and then watch it for a while. My guess is that once everything equalizes out you will find that an occasional dosing will be enough. JMO

I tested my mix tank this week RD three different times. I was concerned that the way I was mixing it for several days was allowing it to "precipitate" out since most fortified salts recommend quick use after mixing. I found that the parameters in the mix water are stable all week, but the Mag is very low in the mix tank as well, it is not even close to what RC advertises on the box. Since I mix at 1.024 rather than 1.026 I know it will be somewhat lower, but it makes sense to use a salt that does more of the work for me if I am buying fortified. Otherwise I may as well buy IO and add everything on my own.

I'll keep testing like crazy because I am a data driven person. The real decision to change salts is because my wife made note of how crappy she thinks that tank has looked for the last several weeks, but she did not know that I switched to RC to save money.

Back