Patching holes in drilled glass tank

djatl

Supporting
Reaction score
A while ago, I drilled the side of a 29g for the overflow. Now I'm regretting it, and I'm thinking about drilling the back and covering the old holes. How do you patch a glass tank? Existing 2 holes are for 3/4 bulkheads.

I know a way but it will cost you thirty bucks.

Here is how I would do it. I would to the nearest Petco or Petsmart and pick up a tank on the "dollar a gallon" sale. Done deal. All holes patched. :)

rdnelson99;826117 wrote: I know a way but it will cost you thirty bucks.

Here is how I would do it. I would to the nearest Petco or Petsmart and pick up a tank on the "dollar a gallon" sale. Done deal. All holes patched. :)

That crossed my mind, too. Might be the cheapest option.

silicone and square of glass or lexan on the inside of the tank or plug the bh or replace it.

Plugging the existing hole is a good option, but it's not going to be pretty when you're finished.

Silcon a piece of Lexan to the back, let try, then silicone another piece to the front, using enough silicone to fill the void...... like a silicone/lexan sandwich....... Be neat about it, otherwise algae will grow around the edges of the lexan and be an eyesore.

With all the hard work you put in your tank, you want it to look nice; you'll be happier with a new tank if it's cheap enough.

Sell the old tank or use it as a sump.

IMO

I agree 30 bucks is 30 bucks and I wouldn't want to waste it. So how about ten bucks to patch the holes. Here is how I would do it.

Buy a 29 on the buck a gallon sale (you are now in for 30). Sell the other tank saying "ten dollar discount and I have pre drilled it free of charge. Have it all for 20 bucks". Now you have a "patched" tank, with no scratches that only cost you 10 bucks. Hehehehe

I'm definitely leaning toward Rich's method. I may hold onto the old one as a sump, though. The holes are only a few inches from the top, so it wouldn't be a big stress from water pressure.

Back