PayPal for local used goods or livestock?

miktrav

Market
Reaction score
Is it normal for those selling used goods or livestock to request paypal payment (gift payment at times) for items when the buyer is within a 20 mile radius and pickup is arranged for within a 24 hour period? This just seems odd to me but if this is the norm for purchasing here I'd like to know.

Michael

Very much the standard. Try listing a few things for sale without that requirement and you'll understand why pretty quick. It would only spook me with a new member/low post count.

Just seems kind of weird to prepay for something that you will be picking up in a few hours anyway. I've bought from several people here recently and in the past without being asked to paypal. This is something new to me that I will have to consider when buying used.

Just a precautionary measure. Some people don't care, some do.

Many people never show. For anything over $30 or so I'll ask for paypal. Also, if I have to meet someone with livestock away from my house I'll ask for it so I know going to the trouble to bag something up will be worth it.

Low priced items I don't ask for paypal. At least not yet lol!

I don't think you usually have to pay in advance but they won't hold it for you until there's a payment. Makes sense.

This makes perfect sense to me.

tonymission;967320 wrote: I don't think you usually have to pay in advance but they won't hold it for you until there's a payment. Makes sense.

Some people do it because they put their PayPal - credit card and it gives them longer before they have to pay.

I like to pay with PayPal so I can use my American Express and my wife doesn't know how much I'm spending on all this stuff. :D

I just tell my wife I bought it used and cut the price I paid in half. If it was new I cut it by 75%. I hope she's not checking this board since she's starting to take more of an interest in the tank. LOL.

tonymission;967320 wrote: I don't think you usually have to pay in advance but they won't hold it for you until there's a payment. Makes sense.

You might have thought I was joking when I mentioned this, I've had someone come back with something they paid cash for and tell me his wife gave him that money to buy a lawn mower and she's threatening to leave him if he didn't get the money back. Now I tell people not only to paypal, but no refunds either!!

Wow! I joke about my wife not knowing how much I spend but she usually knows what I am buying, especially if it goes over my monthly tank budget. When i upgraded my tank i was going to keep my T5 lights and not only did she convince me to upgrade to the AI Hydras, she paid for them. Not a good idea to hide finances from a spouse or significant other.

JDavid;967365 wrote: You might have thought I was joking when I mentioned this, I've had someone come back with something they paid cash for and tell me his wife gave him that money to buy a lawn mower and she's threatening to leave him if he didn't get the money back. Now I tell people not only to paypal, but no refunds either!!

JDavid -- She was probably thinking about leaving him anyway if he had to get some money from her for a lawn mower!

Miktrav -- Maybe not a good idea to hide it (we ARE married!), but as a business owner, (and her not working) I'm not completely sold on her knowing my profit sharing every quarter. She knows we're in good shape, but if she really knew the score then maybe she wouldn't be so careful with money -- and then I'd have less to spend on cool tank stuff! Her spending habits are pretty close to how they were when we were first together and getting on our feet. I'm completely fine with that. Not to mention if she decides to leave me then maybe I can keep a bit more... :D

Yes. paypal has been the #1 way for online shopping for locals and now most retailers. Gift feature just means the recipient dont get fees taken out.

I know a friend who knows a friend that knows friend's drug dealer who takes paypal payment. o_O

Back