PBT behavior

To late to QT now. Whatever he has is now in your water column. Do not sweat it. Just feed. Not overfeed but feed often.

just do as fishscales said-he know his stuff; usually treatment is more stressful than it is good; esp. since he arrived at LFS 5 days ago (who knows how many times he got 'handled' on the way to the LFS) and then in your tank--so you want as LITTLE stress as possible; also keep your lights off as much as possible as that will help him acclimate better than having the lights blaring at him.

system is about 9 months old . . . also as old as my experience so basically I have alot to learn. Any advice is much appreciated.

How would you recommend feeding with garlic??? So i make sure that I am doing it correctly!

Well you are on the right path. You asked first before reacting, way to go and thank you. You and your tank will only get better and better. Just so you know everyone on this forum learns more and more everyday. Most of us even do things we knew were not going to work before we did it, but some of us have to suffer fromour own losses before we take our lessons to heart.

Ok heres some advice...crack a book and read read read.

Never drop a new fish into your system or one day you will find all your fish being eaten by crabs.

May I recommend the book "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist"?

Take anything you are told from ANY fish store with a grain of salt and do research.

I hate to say it, but if your tang lives (which is questionable- i'll explin in a second), it is likely gonna beat the snot out of, and quite possibly kill the Hippo. PBT are aggressive.

I am one who subscribes and suggests large tanks with TONS of flow for Acanthurus sp. tangs- regadless of the fish size. Anyone who has seen these fish acting healthy, knows they swim full speed front one end of the tank to the other. However, in inporper conditions cramped, low flow systems), they tend to decline quickly, often with parasitic problems as seen here. I would recommend you do NOT try to keep this fish in your tank. It will not do well, in my opinion.

jmaneyapanda;300677 wrote: I hate to say it, but if your tang lives (which is questionable- i'll explin in a second), it is likely gonna beat the snot out of, and quite possibly kill the Hippo. PBT are aggressive.

I am one who subscribes and suggests large tanks with TONS of flow for Acanthurus sp. tangs- regadless of the fish size. Anyone who has seen these fish acting healthy, knows they swim full speed front one end of the tank to the other. However, in inporper conditions cramped, low flow systems), they tend to decline quickly, often with parasitic problems as seen here. I would recommend you do NOT try to keep this fish in your tank. It will not do well, in my opinion.

+1... 55 gallons is not enough for this fish.

Sorry but I agree with Jeremy and Patrick. Your tank is too small for a PBT. I have avoided these tangs because I feel my 150 is too small. Like fishscales says, feed often and add garlic. I think the best thing for the fish and for you is to help him kick the ick then find him a larger home.

Good luck, and as Loren said "read, read, read"

Back