PC rainbow coloration

russ-iv

Market
Reaction score
so im gonna destroy everyone in a grow off in another forum. ridiculous growth on this coral. 3 new potential branches, fully encrusted after 20 days.

problem is coloration. i see blue/green on new growth tips with an added polyp but the majority of this guys is red. ive messed with temperature and nutrients but i do not see tri coloration. nutrient devoid... it pales out. 10k it is pink. 18k purple. i got a few more months, but im wondering what you guys generally do to coerce tricoloration.

water params are currently in growth mode

475 calcium
12 alk
10 nitrate
.02 - .15 phosphate depending how hard i dose
81f

600 par roughly. i can bump it to 1200. led.

please dont tell me t5. i just dont see a difference when i add it. i have 4 sunblaster t5 supplementals but they are drowned in the laser light of these leds.

any and all suggestions appreciated

Not sure this helps but for my PC rainbow the coloration was tough, stability (parms, similar to yours posted but my ALK was 9) and lower light produced the best results. My lighting was exclusively T-5 (sorry).

dball711;1070910 wrote: Not sure this helps but for my PC rainbow the coloration was tough, stability (parms, similar to yours posted but my ALK was 9) and lower light produced the best results. My lighting was exclusively T-5 (sorry).

talk to me goose.

lol

what kinda coloration did you coerce out of this pain of a coral?

any info i can take note of would be fantabulous as i really would hate to have a red coral at the end zone.

Maverick, i got mine directly from JF and it looked a lot like his picture, yellow/orange and red/pink just a little pailer.

Seachem has a "colors" test kit. It tests for Potassium, Iron and Iodine. Maybe they are on to something? I have them and my Iron is always on the low side. Haven't found/bought a supplement to bring it up yet. Anyway, just a thought.

Shrimpy Brains;1070924 wrote: Seachem has a "colors" test kit. It tests for Potassium, Iron and Iodine. Maybe they are on to something? I have them and my Iron is always on the low side. Haven't found/bought a supplement to bring it up yet. Anyway, just a thought.

iron gives me pigment. which goes hand in hand with blue spectrum from my experience.
potassium greens stuff if i can get it yellow. (i cant even get that)
iodine. i really have bad experiments with. stuff dies when i play around with iodine. idk.

really just hard to play with these colors. my canvas is pink bacon looking coral. closer to light gets white, otherwise purple.

i guess i could mess with lower par at the end but i am hypothesizing darker red. man this coral can peeve me off.

was hoping to rainbow it out the last month.

dball711;1070921 wrote: Maverick, i got mine directly from JF and it looked a lot like his picture, yellow/orange and red/pink just a little pailer.

thanks boss. god i hate these coral.

im gonna throw it in a t5 tank last month maybe.

mine is grown under diy Cree leds.the body is red/orange with a greenish base and a blue rim.i dose nothing,use phosguard and feed moderate/heavy with LRS Reef Frenzy.

reeferman;1070932 wrote: mine is grown under diy Cree leds.the body is red/orange with a greenish base and a blue rim.i dose nothing,use phosguard and feed moderate/heavy with LRS Reef Frenzy.

you are describing what i see for the most part.

i usually can manipulate those colors under 18k light. but i cant sustain blue tips further. really rough to play with the coloration. this is a stubborn coral imo.

i feed publix oyster/clam/lobster with a mix of nori and other fun stuff (fraped) every 48 hours.

Mine grew well and had some decent color but would get tempemental and the color would fluctuate, something was off but nothing I was routinely testing while everything else was unaffected.

reeferman;1070965 wrote: i find it to be a very easy acro to maintain color in plus it grows in hyper speed

where did you place yours in the tank to "maintain" coloration? (high / low / mid)
i currently have mine in high light and turbulant flow. was a dark maroon red when i received it.

this is definitley a "weed" coral that i wont be keeping if it doesnt perform as a rainbow.

dball711;1070961 wrote: Russ your frustration i exactly why I no longer have mine...

yeah dave,
this thing is the biggest disappointment to rainbows since Cornbred found the photoshop filter.

Russ, will you post your progress pictures for those of us "not in the know"?

JBDreefs;1071022 wrote: Russ, will you post your progress pictures for those of us "not in the know"?

how i received it

image.jpg
alt="" /></a>

a week and half later. cuts branching. 3rd potential branch is on the right side but you cant tell because of the photo. usually the longer pink polyps indicate a branch wants to form.

image.jpg
alt="" /></a>

20 days later. not much glue left to encrust.
image.jpg
alt="" /></a>

ridiculous fast grower. the only official one is the first. my 30 day update isnt due until the 15th.

these are just cell shots so sorry about quality. my official ones will be with the slr.

Thanks Russ! When you're ready to get rid of that "weed", let me know!

Although not info about this particular coral, it may be applicable.

I've found that certain corals do a LOT better with less light. Also, with corals that grow really well, but colours are just not right, I've found Prodibio Bioptim & reefbooster colours them up almost immediately.

Skriz;1071043 wrote: Although not info about this particular coral, it may be applicable.

I've found that certain corals do a LOT better with less light. Also, with corals that grow really well, but colours are just not right, I've found Prodibio Bioptim & reefbooster colours them up almost immediately.

yeah. good point. my red planet is usually optimum at 300 par for coloration.

ill look in to prodibio and reefbooster to see what they have in it.

ive just been messing with nutrients and lighting a lil to see if this guy gives me any cues but it seems to be stubborn (except for growth). lower light may be the route.

thanks for looking out.

if anyone else has any experience with this guy or want to add anything lemme know. considering all options

JBDreefs;1071040 wrote: Thanks Russ! When you're ready to get rid of that "weed", let me know!

if he continues growing like this id probably have enough to go around lol

Russ, I value your brain and opinion...please let me know your thoughts and findings on Prodibio Bioptim & reefbooster. I am intrigued, I'll buy some if you do and maybe we can do a side by side (virtual) comparison of a same coral type to see how this stuff affects corals in our systems over various timeframes. LMK if you want to.

dball711;1071110 wrote: Russ, I value your brain and opinion...please let me know your thoughts and findings on Prodibio Bioptim & reefbooster. I am intrigued, I'll buy some if you do and maybe we can do a side by side (virtual) comparison of a same coral type to see how this stuff affects corals in our systems over various timeframes. LMK if you want to.

heya dave,
yeah buddy. i dont mind trying them out. every tank is different though.

my only issue is my tank hates amino acids with a passion. if i dose even 1/10th the recommended dose i get a dino outbreak. reef booster has fatty acids which may give my tank an angry hit. i think i will try bioptim first and see what it does. it contains trace elements and sulphur which my lns might be lacking.

like i said. every system is different. i couldnt attain 8 alk without dosing nitrate and phosphate let alone 12. maybe, like iron i can try a dose and see how my system reacts.

then again, it could be i need less light.
you lemme know when you order and ill order as well. id probably just get the smallest pack to make sure we arent buying snake oil. but coming from skriz, maybe some truth to it :)

Back