PC T5 par

george

Market
Reaction score
Does anyone have any resources for comparisons of PC and T5 par ratings? There's a wealth of info on metal halide bulbs/ballasts/fixtures, but I can't seem to find any decent comparisons between the fluorescent types.

I'm trying to decide if a fixture like a
Prod_Display.cfm

Here's my experience: I swapped 302 Watts of PCs for 216 Watts of T5s (soon to add more) and the difference in the amount of light is <u>very</u> noticable. I haven't been able to measure the PAR, but I can now see into my dark caves. IMHO, the slightly more expensive T5's are the way to go- and the cost savings in bulbs even things out a little.

I'll try to find but basically a t5 with good reflectors like Icecaps can give almost double the PAR of the PC. I'll look around on RC for some references.

The 96 watt PC is one of those quad-bulb 24" jobs, but from what people say, I'd believe that 48 watts of T5 would outdo it with a good reflector.

It'd be nice to have some science/numbers behind it, though.

The purpose of this is that in light of the recent (and, in my case, ongoing) clam problems, I need to set up a quarantine tank. However, I need the lighting to be intense enough for anything including future clam purchases.

Interesting question. I actually have a PAR meter and would love to start making some useful comparisons like this.

I did measure my Coralife combo 28 watt PC lamp 10k/act 03 vs. a Geisemann24 watt Aquablue (approx. 11k) T5 HO. The distance was about 4 inches from the bulbs above water. The PC used a standard reflector and the T5 used a TEK reflector.

28 watt pc - 140 PAR
24 watt T5 - 310 PAR

The T5 setup is using a "spec" ballast and not overdriving the lamps. I currently have a 24" 2-lamp setup with one aquablue and one pure actinic. I think a 4 lamp T5 setup would support clams in a shallow tank (12" or so).

Wow. With that kind of output, I'd think that 2x 24 watt T5's would be enough in a 10 gallon tank for a clam since the depth is only about 10".

Could you compare the output of the t-5s without the TEK reflector, but with a regular one? Im really curious to know, since people always say that t-5s are no better than PCs without a proper reflector.

Without the reflector they are nearly the same. A HO T5 is a "brighter" bulb, but it will be greatly difused like a PC. The reflectors are what makes them so much better. A good reflector compared to a bad one can be over a 20% difference and if you talk to some about the ATI T5 setups it can be almost 50%.

I honestly think you can get away with the tek reflectors if you don't mind polishing them. I've got ice cap and tek reflectors... anyone need any teks btw? I think I have 2 spare lol. Anyways, if you sit down and polish the teks with some aluminum polish you can get them to a mirror sheen that appears to reflect jsut as well as the ice caps. Although the ice caps are a bit wider which might be better for reflection... and they're definately better built no flimsiness that you see with the teks.

There is a thread on RC (search for Grimreefer) that has PAR readings but it compared T5s to MH. As was mentioned previously, the individual reflectors are what makes the T5 superior to PCs. The "new" thing is the use of active cooling. It's been demonstrated that actively cooling the bulbs can have a dramatic increase on the PAR they are able to generate. That's what ATI has done with their new fixtures, as well as adding some new reflectors, and they are producing some incredible numbers.

mufret;36387 wrote: There is a thread on RC (search for Grimreefer) that has PAR readings but it compared T5s to MH. As was mentioned previously, the individual reflectors are what makes the T5 superior to PCs. The "new" thing is the use of active cooling. It's been demonstrated that actively cooling the bulbs can have a dramatic increase on the PAR they are able to generate. That's what ATI has done with their new fixtures, as well as adding some new reflectors, and they are producing some incredible numbers.

Active cooling, eh? Could you post a link?

anyone grow (fast?) bright color SPS with only some T5's? I never believed in anything but MHI.

wbholwell;36418 wrote: Active cooling, eh? Could you post a link?

There were a number of threads on RC regarding this. I went to try and pull them up but "search" wasn't working. The idea is to actively cool the bulbs and ballast(s) with fans.

ouling;36589 wrote: anyone grow (fast?) bright color SPS with only some T5's? I never believed in anything but MHI.

I have a tank that's lit exclusively with T5s and I haven't had any difficulties keeping and growing brightly colored SPS.

I have seen the tank... very nice...

BTW fast reefcentral search: google.com and type this in the search box "XYZ site:reefcentral.com". Replace "XYZ" with "ATI T5" or whatever.

Back