PH and Lighting

snowmansnow

Market
Reaction score
I noticed something odd as it relates to my lighting and PH readings.
A few days ago I added 2 actinic lamps to my lighting array (t5).
Since then I've noticed my PH has climbed nearly .20 on average from what it was with a different spectrum of lamps.
Really? Does the 420 nm spectrum cause that much more photosynthesis to push the ph up?
I can't attribute the climb to anything else.... Haven't even done a recent water change...

Thoughts?

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Not sure about your lights but I use led's and notice my ph always tests a little higher when the lights have been on a few hours.....its about a .04 difference.

Well yes. The ph will be higher during the day, but mine normally hasn't fluctuated quite so much.

Sure IMO with the warmer weather here, your extra lighting/heat is enough to do it.

I was away last week and it was warm first if the week. With no one opening doors coming in and out, letting dog out... oh and skimmer pump blew up last weekend, hence less oxygen... My PH alarm went off at 8.52. It was of course at the peak of my MH lighing cycle but PH hadn't been over 8.35 this year.

It was in the 80's that day and it was the combo above for me. It jumped down too fast when lthe ights shut off (automatically), I hobbled home and opened up canopy, stand doors and windows...

Maybe I want clear. I didn't ADD a number of lamps. I simply replaced 2 existing lights with actinic ones.
On a side note... I have suspected for a while that low actinic spectrum is much more important than we realize, but it gets glossed over because we can't really see it, and it has very low par.
There's more to the story. Can't wait for it to be revealed

I believe the level of UV plays a big role. For an example look at weather and the sun. On a bright sunny day the par is really high and you can really feel the heat on your body, you know you'll burn quick if you don't put on some sun screen or seek out some shade. Take the same position of the sun but add some clouds, a slightly overcast day. The par is lower and you don't feel the same heat on your body but you'll still burn just as fast.

SnowManSnow;1085560 wrote: Maybe I want clear. I didn't ADD a number of lamps. I simply replaced 2 existing lights with actinic ones.
On a side note... I have suspected for a while that low actinic spectrum is much more important than we realize, but it gets glossed over because we can't really see it, and it has very low par.
There's more to the story. Can't wait for it to be revealed

IMO Replacing, adding new = about the same if the lamps were too old :)

Agree with you on the actinic spectrum importance.
Setting up (downsizing) a new DD and researching lighting options is interesting!

Back