pH drops when I have people hanging out

meeetch

Supporting
Reaction score
So recently I've had some get togethers with friends and family and every time my pH levels drop drastically. I've read about carbon dioxide in the room can cause this. Has anyone else experienced this or have any solutions. On Saturday I had 2 friends sleep over in the basement and the pH dropped over night. As soon as they left the pH has been slowing coming back up. Any input would be appreciated.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
1118106=70823-Screenshot_20170703-085748.png
>
1118106=70823-Screenshot_20170703-085748.png
class="gc-images" title="Screenshot_20170703-085748.png[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
1118106=70824-Screenshot_20170703-085847.png
>
1118106=70824-Screenshot_20170703-085847.png
class="gc-images" title="Screenshot_20170703-085847.png[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

I've got constant problems with ph dropping once my family is home. The oven in the kitchen, pretty far away from my bedroom where I used to have my tank, would KILL my ph. I leave a couple of windows partially open. I'm working on running a line from my skimmer out the window.

I talked to a builder friend of mine. The standards for sealing houses up are crazy now. I have permanently disconnected my gas fireplace. It's crazy how stable the ph becomes in the spring and fall when I can leave the windows open. Otherwise, even when just two of the kids get home from school the ph starts dropping... two girls in a 3000 sq foot house start putting off too much co2....

I read about people using a CO2 scrubber but it gets pretty expensive since you're changing it out every week.

They work... Hopefully running the skimmer air line outside does the same thing. If you hook it up to your skimmer with a valve on your Apex that can turn it off and back on as the ph gets too low you'd be better off. Going outside just seems more natural and easy to me. Looks like that's happening overnight? I'd also reverse light my refugium. I did that and it helped but there was still a dip. Frequently a dip you could see during the hours of the day that my main light was on when more people were over or the oven was on.

Its C02 buildup from people breathing in a closed environment(your house).

Unless youre seeing adverse effects in your tank, 7.9 isnt low enough IMO to bother trying to fix it, for temporary dips.

I always dread my wife's 100+ people Halloween party. Gets in 7.8 range for a day or two. Doesn't seem to bother the fish or corals.

Wow... I never had enough gadgetry to make that kind of an observation.

Likely a result of lower oxygen.

Open a window. :)

Jenn

The airline outside sounds interesting. If an airline outside helps, why valve it?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

:lol2:.it amazing how much CO2 girls put off ... Just kidding ladies
Danh;1118107 wrote: I've got constant problems with ph dropping once my family is home. The oven in the kitchen, pretty far away from my bedroom where I used to have my tank, would KILL my ph. I leave a couple of windows partially open. I'm working on running a line from my skimmer out the window.

I talked to a builder friend of mine. The standards for sealing houses up are crazy now. I have permanently disconnected my gas fireplace. It's crazy how stable the ph becomes in the spring and fall when I can leave the windows open. Otherwise, even when just two of the kids get home from school the ph starts dropping... two girls in a 3000 sq foot house start putting off too much co2....

SaltWaterWannabe;1118362 wrote: The airline outside sounds interesting. If an airline outside helps, why valve it?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I don't think I'd valve it going outside. If you're referring to what I mentioned, it's with using the scrubbing media. If you don't need to run air over it because ph is fine, don't so you don't deplete it unnecessarily.

Or you could do like me.... Knocking on Wood currently!!! I haven't check PH in 3-4 years....

H@ll, honestly I haven't tested anything.... Only Salinity when I do an annual water change.... lol

nickg;1118523 wrote: Or you could do like me.... Knocking on Wood currently!!! I haven't check PH in 3-4 years....

My 5g office tank at work has never had the ph checked. It's a fluval spec v... Stock light, no skimmer, no dosing, 1-3g of water changes a week... and it grows up to stylo pretty well... lol.... Tons of people in the building, no open windows.

Back