pH problems

here is mine I have airline coming from the outside to my skimmer a big fan blowing toward the back of the tank and my powerhead pointed upward for surface agitation.

edit: PH2 is my Calcium Reactor.

Capture.PNG

I used ro tubing from lowes to run outside. I thought it may affect the air flow to the skimmer due to its smaller size but I haven't noticed any difference but it's only 6' of it

I am a died-in-the-wool pH chaser, but I am learning to let go : )

running a tube outside isn't really an option for me. I put together a really cheap CO2 scrubber using a cheap media bin and CDX. I finally got tired of filling it up (it's a pain because it wasn't meant to be used with media), so I got the BRS version instead, which really isn't too expensive. It definitely makes a difference - anywhere from .2 - .4 increase. This is a real issue for me in the winter because my tank is near the furnace which services the two bottom floors.

Anyway, I was looking to give away the original reactor anyway - it's yours if you want it? It's a bit of a Rube Goldberg setup, but it does work. I'll even fill it up with CDX for you. You can at least try - PM me if you're interested (or just "bored" ; ). Many people prefer to set up it so that the reactor air is in a closed loop with the skimmer - bringing moist skimmer air into the unit is beneficial, and it constantly cycles the air from your water, to concentrate the effect.

If I remember correctly, isn't your tank right up against an exterior wall? Shouldn't be too bad to drill a hole and run it out through the mixing station?

pH will naturally go down when the tank lights go off - many people run their refugium lights opposite their DT schedule specifically to help mitigate the night time drop-off.

Anyway, do what everyone else said, and good luck!

--Ron

Be careful with eight.four as it is an alkalinity buffer too. You can't exceed 8.4 pH with it but you can drastically raise your kH. The chemistry can completely out of whack there.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Thank you for the info. I’ve stopped using it. Just checked dkh yesterday it was 8

I also forgot to mention.... that “dead rock” will also suck the KH / pH out of your water until it’s fully cured, which I understand can take months. I love the stuff, but it’s pretty raw compared to real live rock

I also forgot to mention.... that “dead rock” will also suck the KH / pH out of your water until it’s fully cured, which I understand can take months. I love the stuff, but it’s pretty raw compared to real live rock
Yup! Trade one problem (bad hitchhikers) for another problem (pH/KH suck and diatom creating silica). Can’t win for losing lol. It’s getting better though.

Back