pH question

bkostuch

Market
Reaction score
So now that I get to see my pH on a minute by minute basis through fusion. I see the normal high peak and low peak in pH. My pH during the high peak is 8.05 and at low it's 7.93.

I really don't like seeing it dip into the 7's, what can I do to buffer the pH without messing with alk?

Parameters are as follows.

Temp 79.8
pH 8.05
Calc - 410
Mag - 1350
Alk - 8.4
Salinity - 1.024

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a couple of things you can do. Short term : Open up the windows and let some fresh air into your house. Longer term: Run an outside line to your skimmers air input ( I would add a small air canister with carbon so you won't get any contaminants entering your system). Move your Alkalinity up to 9.0+ dKH. Add an air filter with soda lime. Just a couple of ideas.

Bcavalli;1056372 wrote: There is a couple of things you can do. Short term : Open up the windows and let some fresh air into your house. Longer term: Run an outside line to your skimmers air input ( I would add a small air canister with carbon so you won't get any contaminants entering your system). Move your Alkalinity up to 9.0+ dKH. Add an air filter with soda lime. Just a couple of ideas.

I'm in the same situations and looking for suggestions as well. The opening up the windows does work great but unfortunately it's just a temporary solution. Brett can you elaborate more on these other methods?

I think I'm going to run a tube from outside to my intake valve on my coralife125 and see what that does.

Genesis;1056384 wrote: I'm in the same situations and looking for suggestions as well. The opening up the windows does work great but unfortunately it's just a temporary solution. Brett can you elaborate more on these other methods?

Absolutely. I use both methods to raise my pH. Install an air canister / DI canister half full of large particle carbon outside your home. Then run air tubing from the canister to your skimmers air inlet. By using carbon you reduce the risk of any pesticides or contaminates entering your system.

I personally like running Soda Lime as there are many more benefits than just raising pH levels. It's the same method of using an air or DI canister. The only difference is you use Soda Lime in the cartridge instead of Carbon. Add about a tablespoon of DI water to the bottom of the canister to activate it.

You will generally see your pH increase by .7 or more. Color changing Soda lime is used in scuba rebreathers and in OR's to convert cO2 into oxygen. With more oxygen entering your system you will see algae reduced and a healthier reef imho, as well as improving your skimmers performance. I've been running it for about a year and a half and have seen great results.

Once again, Brett coming in with awesome advice :)

I went on the BRS website and found info on a co2 reactor.
Here are some vids I found as well

<!-- gcu-updated ame -->https://youtu.be/LSC1J0PRIs0<!-- gcu-updated /ame -->
<!-- gcu-updated ame -->https://youtu.be/BO-7mawQ284<!-- gcu-updated /ame -->

Looks like I'm putting an order in to BRS shortly.

Genesis;1056397 wrote: I went on the BRS website and found info on a co2 reactor.
Here are some vids I found as well

https://youtu.be/LSC1J0PRIs0">https://youtu.be/LSC1J0PRIs0</a>
[IMG]https://youtu.be/BO-7mawQ284">https://youtu.be/BO-7mawQ284</a>[/QUOTE]

They do a much better job explaining it than I do. :)

Thanks Brent and Camellia. Brent and Brandon, I'm really interested in seeing how the changes work for you, keep us updated.

One thing about Soda Lime and raising pH levels closer to natural seawater, as a result you may see a higher uptake of Alkalinity and Calcium consumption by your coral.

I'll add one other bit of advice I did yesterday, it had a slight benefit on my pH. My skimmer, probably like most peoples, is sucking stagnant air from under my stand which is closed off. I ran a temporary air line from the skimmer to the top of my tank in open air. I saw a slight swing upwards once I did that, nothing dramatic but it almost kept me from dipping into the 7's :)

bkostuch;1056442 wrote: I'll add one other bit of advice I did yesterday, it had a slight benefit on my pH. My skimmer, probably like most peoples, is sucking stagnant air from under my stand which is closed off. I ran a temporary air line from the skimmer to the top of my tank in open air. I saw a slight swing upwards once I did that, nothing dramatic but it almost kept me from dipping into the 7's :)

That's a great start. You maybe be able to just get away with running a line from outside the house to your skimmer (if possible). You could also bump your Alkalinity up just a little. However, almost eveyone will say your parameters are acceptable and you should never chase numbers. But, I'm with you and would rather see my parameters above acceptable levels and not at the bottom of the scale.

Agree there Brett, I'm not looking to chase numbers, I have learned in the short time staying consistent is better than the number chasing for sure. If i can bump my pH by .3 I will be completely happy where I am, that will keep the high point around 8.3 and my low around 8.2ish :)

I've been in the hunt for a solution as well. With in the last couple month I've gone from 8.2-8.0 swings to now 8.0-7.8 swings and that 7.8 kinda doesn't sit too well with me. PH buffers only offer a temporary solution to the problem, so not relying on that. Going to try the fresh air intake method on the skimmer first and see what that does. If no success then option 2 will be the co2 scrubber.

Another improvement I've noticed is dosing Kalkwasser in my ATO. Kalkwasser has a PH of like 12 so it will help raise PH as well depending on evaporation rates.

Quick update, my ph is slowly climbing now that I have an external air source. Based on data trends I shouldn't drop below 8 tonight.... Stay tuned :)

So here is a curve ball. Like previously stated my PH was swinging from 8.0-7.8 ppm. Its been hot outside and we have mainly had the a/c on. Yesterday it got pretty cold and my wife turned on the heater all day while I was at work. I get home in the evening to see my PH at 8.15 ppm. It had me really wondering if a/c vs heating could have played any role in that?

Genesis;1056723 wrote: So here is a curve ball. Like previously stated my PH was swinging from 8.0-7.8 ppm. Its been hot outside and we have mainly had the a/c on. Yesterday it got pretty cold and my wife turned on the heater all day while I was at work. I get home in the evening to see my PH at 8.15 ppm. It had me really wondering if a/c vs heating could have played any role in that?

Hotter tank temperature = increased metabolic reactions such as photosynthesis which uses CO2 and has byproduct of oxygen. Increased oxygen and reduced CO2 = increased pH

MarquiseO;1056731 wrote: Hotter tank temperature = increased metabolic reactions such as photosynthesis which uses CO2 and has byproduct of oxygen. Increased oxygen and reduced CO2 = increased pH

Interesting :up:

While I agree with this, I have seen swings in my room temp and haven't noticed a big swing. Listening along :)

Back