pH question

MarquiseO;1056731 wrote: Hotter tank temperature = increased metabolic reactions such as photosynthesis which uses CO2 and has byproduct of oxygen. Increased oxygen and reduced CO2 = increased pH

i like this method of thought.

my issue is that warmer temps generally outgas more. atoms in warmer environments excite and expand. this is with oxygen as well.

so the ratio may stay the same, you just have less oxygen and co2 molecules.

-insert room for debate here --

on a side note, kalk is pretty cheap (labor, and upkeep wise) and may give you bang for your buck.
soda lime is an interesting concept. i may read up on it.
ive always found venting the house to do the trick, however that becomes hard to do during the winter and summer months.

After reading through this thread, I decided to run a fresh air intake to my skimmer from a nearby window to see if it would make a difference. As you can see by the attached graph, it has really reduced my PH swings. My PH is a lot more steady though slowing dropping but above 8. You can tell from the graph when I added the fresh air intake, right after the big dip...not sure why that dipped so much though.

So grabbing fresh air from outside hasn't done much for me over the past few days. It has made the pH stay just about the 8.0 range with smaller swings. I dose Alk every night to keep my levels in check, and when they slip I dose a larger amount 1 time. The 1 time dose brought the levels up to about 8.2, but slowly corrected itself back to the 8.0 over 24 hours. Not sure if a canister will help here since my fresh air pull hasn't bumped it much. I'll let those that run fresh air canisters weigh in.

What are some of the options with a canister? Specificially to pull the air in? Should I get a toms aqualifter and place in line to force more air through?

Brent
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
1056890=64800-ph.jpg
>
1056890=64800-ph.jpg
class="gc-images" title="ph.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

I should have mentioned that I use 5/8" tubing for my outside airline, that way the air isn't restricted.

Back