Phos issue

atticusfit

Market
Reaction score
so i have a new tank set up (jan.1), 72 gal and noticed my rock was getting covered in bright green as well as sand bed. talked to a couple of people and said this was normal. i tested Phos tonight and testing right at .16 with red sea test kit. any input on best and fastest way to drop this number??

LSU_fishFan;1074855 wrote: Gfo works well.

You could also try doing a water change.

newbie here so GFO? how is it added to tank, also do 10 gal water changes on Sundays

I would pickup some phosguard. just rinse it well in a mesh bag and throw it in your filter sock. It's always better to use half the recommended dosage. You should see a notable reduction quickly.

Bcavalli;1074859 wrote: I would pickup some phosguard. just rinse it well in a mesh bag and throw it in your filter sock. It's always better to use half the recommended dosage. You should see a notable reduction quickly.
and as far as the green on the rocks and the green matting on the sand bed?

atticusfit;1074856 wrote: newbie here so GFO? how is it added to tank, also do 10 gal water changes on Sundays

Gfo can be used in a filter bag placed in a high flow area, or in a reactor.

atticusfit;1074864 wrote: sorry chemipure blue or elite, not sure dif between two?

Both are good products, I use chemipure elite on my tanks. I believe the only difference is that elite contains higher levels of gfo.

LSU_fishFan;1074865 wrote: Both are good products, I use chemipure elite on my tanks. I believe the only difference is that elite contains higher levels of gfo.

would that be better than spending money on a reactor?

LSU_fishFan;1074855 wrote: Gfo works well.

You could also try doing a water change.

I do use GFO in a reactor but if you think it's a temporary issue, the above suggestions are good.

atticusfit;1074860 wrote: and as far as the green on the rocks and the green matting on the sand bed?

As your eliminating the phosphates you prob need to clean, clean and clean some more.

Be careful not to drop your PO4 to quickly, an extreme drop can cause issues :)

If it's anew tank ...
Then where is the PO4 coming from?
Are you using RODI water?

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Back