Phosban Reactor?

Dakota9;349286 wrote: Wow!

In my 30 gallon tank, I just threw a bag of PhosBan in my canister filter

In my 65, I just threw the bag of PhosBan in my sump.

I'm interested in seeing just how complicated this can be made.........
No where near as efficient. Reactors improve the performance greatly.

I've got an extra RO filter canister I'm thinking of converting into one. I wish it weren't white so I could see the media to adjust flow.

Dakota9;349286 wrote: Wow!

In my 30 gallon tank, I just threw a bag of PhosBan in my canister filter

In my 65, I just threw the bag of PhosBan in my sump.

I'm interested in seeing just how complicated this can be made.........

How about how efficient it can be?

Using a reactor utilizes the media properly. I tried a couple of those gfo reactors. I hated them. I was expecting so much more (they're tiny and flimsy), but what do you really expect for $40?

You'll need a larger pump than the 404 though. You can always throttle back the pump if it's too powerful.

I don't like tee-ing off a pump. You'll find that the flow is always going to favor the path of least resistance. That can make adjusting it akward. I suppose in this case it won't really make much difference though.

If you're concerned about particulate matter, you could have the effluent dump into a filter sock?

cr500_af;349375 wrote: I've got an extra RO filter canister I'm thinking of converting into one. I wish it weren't white so I could see the media to adjust flow.
Yeah I knew it was between that and the pimp cup:D

MvM;349342 wrote: No where near as efficient. Reactors improve the performance greatly.

But with my method, I was also using tap water at the time and still managed a phosphate free tank.......

How does one go about measuring efficiency? When is something efficient enough? Usually in this hobby, I think that's about the time someone is tired of tinkering with something or has blown their budget on it.

I dont have much problem with particulate matter that I can physicall observe. When I change the media out, I do a waterchange, and a big percentage of the drained water I push throught the new media to clear out the debris. The water usually clears up after 2-3 gallons for me, then I continue until I get to my 10-15 gallon waterchange target. This helps flush out any loose stuff. Sure, they may be more released later, but it will likely be insignificant, I would think.

You really don't want to run GFO and carbon in the same Phosban reactor. Carbon should be packed to the top without any movement of the pieces, and GFO works best in a fluidised state. Reference the instructions with the Reactor.
Dave

I used the TLF reactors for about a year then upgraded to the one that Bulk Reef Supply carries.....which is basically an RO/DI Canister setup .....Do yourself a favor and buy one, you will not regret it. It cost like $50 and all you need is a MJ pump to run it. Comes with everything you need to get it running. It is east to clean out and you can run just about anything in it. Not to mention it looks nice!!!
a>

Back