Phosguard question

genesis

Market
Reaction score
Can Phosguard be run in a reactor and if yes how? I have a BRS dual reactor that I use to run gfo in the 1st chamber and carbon in the 2nd. I've been dosing nopox for almost 2 weeks now and it has dropped my nitrates significantly but phosphates barely. (Stop running gfo per instructions) I wanted to try Phosguard and was checking if I would be able to run it in the 1st chamber of my dual reactor like I did with the gfo.

huskerreefatl;1076016 wrote: I have ran it in the first chamber of my dual reactor for almost a year.....works fine.

Do you tumble it or keep it packed in?

I follow the measure requirements, which I think is 6 or 7 tablespoons for my size tank (75 gallon tank plus sump minus rocks and stuff), and then adjust the flow so that there is some slight surface movement in the phosban (I actually use phosban rather than phosguard but I think it is the same stuff).

Yup, run it in the first chamber with low tumble at the top and you will be fine.

You can absolutely use it in a reactor, however it should NOT tumble at all. You don't want the beads rubbing each other and pulverizing.

The beaded shape of the media should prevent channeling when they are packed in snugly, so you get even surface area contact with the water.

Jenn

So far been happy with the Phosguard. What method do you all use to gauge the replacement of it. I know the most obvious answer would be when po4 levels rise but I can't really use that because I use Red Sea test kits and my levels are almost alway in the 0 range (very rarely creeping up in the .02). I know I have po4 present because I have some algae growing on the rocks and glass.

I switched to a Hanna checker just for that reason of getting a better gauge of po4 creep

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I replace mine every 3 weeks or so. I was the same in that I had algae but no PO4 so you are right but I just kept up with the better feeding habits and changing out phosban and now my algae is basically gone. As a matter of fact, when I measure my tank now, I am 0's across the board on phosphate, nitrate, nitrite, and ammonia. I have read several article that suggest that you want some level of nitrates but mine stay at 0 due to skimming. I used to do water changes regularly and now, as long as my numbers are 0 and my Ca/KH/Mg are where they should be, I just add water to the ATO and the dosers handle the rest....and things are growing like crazy and looking good.

Phosguard dissipates faster than gfo does for sure, phosguard was every month and gfo is like every 3 months

yup easily used in a reactor but shouldnt tumble. and a lot of people mix it with carbon and just run them together in the same reactor to save space. thats what i plan on doing with mine. im going to run a dual reactor with matrix in the first chamber and then phosguard and matrix carbon mixed in the second chamber.

I learned to run my PhosGaurd in line after my carbon just to catch the phosphate that leaches from the carbon

Check your Red Sea test info for high and low tests. I'm thinking there is two ways to check levels of PO4 with it.

I wouldn't think you would need two types of media for PO4, seems like a waste of money.
Have you checked your nitrates? That could be your issue not PO4. GFO should and can keep PO4 in check.

Back