Phosphate Factories?! We Will Never Recommend Using a Calcium Reactor the Same Way Again. ( BRS post)

My tanks have been phosphate factories for 20 years and I've never even used a Calcium Reactor until my current build.

Yeah maybe don't use some brands of media but if you have fish it's never going to be a major contributer.

I am using reborn , my phosphate hovers around .25 , i am dosing a small dose of phosphate-e to keep at .10

I love that BRS answers the questions we all have as reefers! They take the scientific approach instead of the “this worked for me” approach you see a lot on the forums!

I love that BRS answers the questions we all have as reefers! They take the scientific approach instead of the “this worked for me” approach you see a lot on the forums!
I guess so..lol. In reality it's all "this worked for me" in this hobby..there's no one way. Someone can tell me everything about a coral scientifically but can they grow it?

All sedimentary limestone and aragonite contains phosphate of varying levels. It’s been known for decades, before BRS ‘discovered’ that dissolving that rock in an acidic reactor releases it back into solution.

Further, phosphate in aquarium water, or oceans, will spontaneously precipitate on calcium carbonates, increasingly with pH.

fwiw,
I’ve written previously about washing rock in citric acid solution to help mitigate this issue.

I guess so..lol. In reality it's all "this worked for me" in this hobby..there's no one way. Someone can tell me everything about a coral scientifically but can they grow it?
I agree. I just appreciate that they put everything on video, good or bad results. I, coming back to the hobby after a long break appreciate the testing of new equipment, salt vs salt, etc. all things I would love to do, but now don’t have to fortunately! They have really stepped their game up in the last few years!!

Back