phosphate reactor question

glxtrix

Market
Reaction score
ok so i have an extra RO/DI cansiter laying around and I figure I could make a phosphate reactor super easy. I guess my question is, what type of media should I get? I know there are all kinds out there, just wondering which one you guys liked better? Thanks.

Lee

Not to hijack this thread, but I'm also getting a gently used phosphate absorber, and I'm wondering what kind of performance to expect out of these? Is there a noticable difference in algae growth?

oh come on chris, why are you always the one to hijack threads?!?!?!?!? LOL, just messin with ya :) Youre always welcome to join in, hopefully someone knows that answer for ya.

Chris it obviously depends on if phosphate is your limiting nutrient or not. In other words algea also needs a nitrogen source. If your nitrates are super low and your phosphates high it can grow like crazy on the phosphates. If phosphates are super low and nitrates high then it can still grow like crazy. You keep them both low and then your getting somewhere.

Some people have had it work wonders in their tank while others have seen no difference so depends on the tank!

Media wise I have used Phosphate Killer by Salifert, Phosban, and Rowaphos and could honstly tell no difference in length of time it lasted or performance so I just by phoban now since it's cheapest and readily available. Whatever you do get one of the iron based ones (rust colored) rather then an aluminum based one (white).

Couple references

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/june2004/review.htm">http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/june2004/review.htm</a>

[IMG]http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-11/rhf/index.php">http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-11/rhf/index.php</a>

GFO is GFO is GFO. Randy Holmes Farley debunked a lot of the claims about "higher qualiry" GFO. Pretty much any brand will perform as well as another. Some things like how dusty the media is comes into play, but for the most part the cheap stuff performs as well as the expensive stuff. I use PhosBan from DrsFosterSmith since shipping is cheap and the price is right for me.

I would go with ROWAPHOS, more expensive but for it's capabilities it's unbeatable.

according to the charts tho, phosban lower pos a bit more, ROWAPHOS will just get to that lower point quicker. At least thats what I'm seeing from the link that kwl1763 posted. Will adding this help with bryposis or how ever you spell it.

The chart is statiscally insignificant and one sample. They are the same. Rowa heads will tell you different but there is nothing to really prove it.

I've been running SeaChem's PhosGuard for a while now.

It's one of the white ones.... contains aluminum????

Should I switch? What's the bad news about the aluminum ones?
Uhhh.. besides containing aluminum?

Will my fish get alzheimers? :eek:

bwa hahahaha, prolly no worse than they already have. In the first article it says a few things about it. It just another metal in your tank that shouldnt be there. I cant say wether to switch or not cuz I have no input about this at all, but I would think it would be good to.

glxtrix wrote: Will adding this help with bryposis or how ever you spell it.

Unfortunately, from what i've read about bryopsis, its a super algae of sorts that will grow quite well regardless of your phosphate levels. Although I'm sure that using ferric hydroxide will help, its no cure from what I've read. The hearsay on the net continues to recommend manual extraction as the only real solution to bryposis. I've also heard limited success with a type of rabbitfish. I think its called the scribbled rabbitfish and it seems some will eat bryposis. It's actually a pretty fish and fairly cheap, yet for some reason rather uncommon.

I do think that if its only on a few rocks right now, that you should pull them out and go to town on them before it gets out of hand.

Good luck.

yeah I pulled a lot a few weeks ago, but it seems to be coming back.....I think I'll just have to pick the coral off those rocks and bake em for a few months, or chop the problem areas off. Thanks for that answer FI

Straight from the ariticle listed above:

In summary, iron oxide based phosphate removers are effective at lowering phosphate levels in a reef tank and can reduce them to natural seawater levels. There appears to be little difference in effectiveness of the two leading brands, so one can use either depending on price and availability.

Back