phosphates bottomed out. 0.00

wantsummora acropora

Supporting
Reaction score
Well I finally hit rock bottom. PO4 is at 0.00. I'm gonna do some research on this one but I would like some of you OG's to opine on this one please. Some info on my system: I run my skimmer 24/7, I have a filter roller and 1 fine filter sock on my secondary because I've cranked up my flow resulting in spill over into the secondary overflow. I feed once a day but what I consider a lot. I have 1 spare dosing head I can use if dosing is the solution. Thank you and just a side note, does anyone buy into the whole "Making reefing easy" mantra?

Do you have room to raise the float level on the filter roller so that it takes more time before it advances? How effective is the skimmer with the filter roller in place? Other options are to put the skimmer on a timer, depending on what it is pulling out of the system, or feed more before I would consider dosing phosphates.

My skimmer hasn't been online in months. Couldn't keep nutrients. I've only been running filter socks and still struggling. I dump food in my tank 4-5 times a day.

With filter rollers, I have found that it is best to run them only during part of the day and turn them off at night for my nutrients etc. I have mine running from about 10-10 and they are off at night. If I run them 24/7 they will strip too much out of the systems. It is about finding the balance and I have been using filters rollers for the last three years.

Are you seeing anything negative with the ultra low PO4 levels? In my case, the coral colors were dull and everything was faded. What do your nitrates levels look like? My frag tank typically has ultra low levels of both NO3 and PO4. I took the following steps to get my PO4 (and NO3) levels up.
  • Skimmer timed to only run at night while the pH was naturally dropping.
  • Feeding Reef Roids. Apparently this food in particular can lead to elevated PO4 levels.
  • I dosed Seachem's "Flourish Phosphourus." In my approximatly 70g frag system, 0.2 mL raises the levels by about 5 ppb phosphorus. When I convert that number into phosphate, it equals 0.015 PO4. It's powerful stuff when you consider 0.2 mL is about 2 drops so make sure you test before and after as overdosing could be a real issue.

With filter rollers, I have found that it is best to run them only during part of the day and turn them off at night for my nutrients etc. I have mine running from about 10-10 and they are off at night. If I run them 24/7 they will strip too much out of the systems. It is about finding the balance and I have been using filters rollers for the last three years.
With a mature system and a robust multipronged export, why run the roller at all?

Do you have room to raise the float level on the filter roller so that it takes more time before it advances? How effective is the skimmer with the filter roller in place? Other options are to put the skimmer on a timer, depending on what it is pulling out of the system, or feed more before I would consider dosing phosphates.
The float is as high as it can go. Questions: I have small patches of hair algae and cyano on my glass. Would that mean I still have PO4 but it’s being used before it can be detected? If so, is there anything I can or should do?
I don’t have Dino’s…..yet.

With a mature system and a robust multipronged export, why run the roller at all?
I wouldn’t say I have a mature system at 11 months old but I’m new, I don’t know much. My tank has always had a bacteria bloom or “stuff” floating around and it’s been driving me nuts so I’ve been striving for a very clean system. I’ve started running ozone. I’m probably stripping too much out of the system but the water and corals have never looked better. I like Shari’s 100’s suggestion on finding that balance. Would it be better to limit the filter roller or the skimmer?

Are you seeing anything negative with the ultra low PO4 levels? In my case, the coral colors were dull and everything was faded. What do your nitrates levels look like? My frag tank typically has ultra low levels of both NO3 and PO4. I took the following steps to get my PO4 (and NO3) levels up.
  • Skimmer timed to only run at night while the pH was naturally dropping.
  • Feeding Reef Roids. Apparently this food in particular can lead to elevated PO4 levels.
  • I dosed Seachem's "Flourish Phosphourus." In my approximatly 70g frag system, 0.2 mL raises the levels by about 5 ppb phosphorus. When I convert that number into phosphate, it equals 0.015 PO4. It's powerful stuff when you consider 0.2 mL is about 2 drops so make sure you test before and after as overdosing could be a real issue.
No not yet. That’s whats so confusing. My tank looks the best ever. So do my corals. I have some nice Acans that the colors are starting to come back. One acan was popping heads. I have 1 head left that is showing signs of recovering. I just got my first sticks so I’m keeping a close eye on them. I use Reefroids also. I tested nitrates last night (Red Sea test) and it was 1. something. I have the Hanna nitrate test (which I don’t like) I’ll test tonight. I have some persistent GHA but not a lot and some cyano but not the slimy hairy stuff.

I have been working on nutrient levels for about 3 months now and can highly recommend either dosing a phosphate supplement or reefroids. I had both nitrate and phosphate zeroed out and although my LPS were not unhappy my sps and zoas would not grow. Since I have the phosphate level up to .03 and nitrates between 8 and 10 I have noticed SPS and zoas taking off in growth. I think there are a few ways to get where you want to go whether that is limiting export or increasing input. The dosing method works for me and I have been measuring phosphate and nitrate twice a week to get a good idea of how much I should be dosing. You don't want to be in Dino land , I have been there and it just isn't pretty. Good luck with whatever you do.

I have been working on nutrient levels for about 3 months now and can highly recommend either dosing a phosphate supplement or reefroids. I had both nitrate and phosphate zeroed out and although my LPS were not unhappy my sps and zoas would not grow. Since I have the phosphate level up to .03 and nitrates between 8 and 10 I have noticed SPS and zoas taking off in growth. I think there are a few ways to get where you want to go whether that is limiting export or increasing input. The dosing method works for me and I have been measuring phosphate and nitrate twice a week to get a good idea of how much I should be dosing. You don't want to be in Dino land , I have been there and it just isn't pretty. Good luck with whatever you do.
Thanks for the suggestions, they are good ones. I think from a practical approach, I should dial back my export (i.e. remove the filter sock and limit how long I run my skimmer and reduce my recirculation) and increase my feeding (if necessary). How long should it take before dino's show up under my current circumstances? I really appreciate everyones input.

Thanks for the suggestions, they are good ones. I think from a practical approach, I should dial back my export (i.e. remove the filter sock and limit how long I run my skimmer and reduce my recirculation) and increase my feeding (if necessary). How long should it take before dino's show up under my current circumstances? I really appreciate everyones input.
Which test kit are you using for Phosphate?

I would start with removing the filter sock or just not changing it and see if that makes a difference I personally don't like turning off my skimmer as I feel it is aerating the water to a degree that helps keep the PH higher. I can't say on the time before dinos arrive as that is usually the warning bell that starts people testing nitrates and phosphates more often than they would otherwise. No idea if this is 3 days or 2 weeks

Good luck

Back