Phyto growing

George did you get the Resting Rotifers from FAF? I ordered the kit with them in them. I know you need to get the phyto culture going first. I guess its the freezer for them when they get here.

I figured I'd get the rotifers after I'd established that I could do the phyto.

Aright. I got my algae disks and Resting Rotifers in. I flipped through the book and figured I need to sit down and read it. I'm still trying to get my set up working. I went with the basic model of the ten culture station. I just put in 4 for room and I know I don't need more then that of phyto for my tanks. I tried to simplify the design. the light is going to be hanging down I need to cut the middle pipe to put the "fixture" in. I need to trim up the pipes to make this thing a little more compact. I want to make another one of these for rotifer cultures so I can take an extra step and make contamination less likely.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
fieldset>

You gonna be using the 2 liter bottles to culture? Might get a little hard to clean those suckers out. Although I've found if I rinse with every split I don't have too hard a time getting anything out of anywhere...

I figure they are cheap and I have almost a constant supply of them. If I'm sitting around the house watching tv or just lounging. I'll go through a 2 liter in about 3 hours. I'm still trying to figure out if I'm going to grow with the florescent growing bulb or just the bright daylight ones that are 100 watts. well the equivalent to.

I'm getting great results just under a week after starting my latest culture running the 6500K GE power compact (but regular light socket mount) bulbs you can get in Wal Mart or Lowes. Wal Mart is way cheaper though with 2 bulbs for the price of one in Lowes. I think it's a 26 watt bulb for a "100 watt equivalent".

is it more the round type PC or longer like the ones in my pic? I just used that one so I know that I wouldn't have the bulb dragging the ground.

Oh on a side note..... 1000-3000 rotifer cyst area alot smaller then I thought they would be. Currently in my freezer waiting for me to start my phyto.

Frewl;34466 wrote: is it more the round type PC or longer like the ones in my pic? I just used that one so I know that I wouldn't have the bulb dragging the ground.
It's just like
Dispatcher

Well I got most of my culture station put together. I haven't glued it toget because I want to make sure that its the way I want. I know PVC pipe and the fittings aren't much but I want to be able to change out a pipe or two to fine tune it in the next couple of weeks.

George thanks I got those bulbs and it looks like everything is coming together. how far do you have the bottles from the light? and what kind of bottles are you using?

Frewl;35064 wrote: George thanks I got those bulbs and it looks like everything is coming together. how far do you have the bottles from the light? and what kind of bottles are you using?
They're about 4"-6" from the light. I put them in a rubbermaid tote with the bulb hanging in the middle of a circle of containers. I use the rubbermaid wide mouth jars.

Most everything I'm doing has been gleaned from Rob Weatherly's
a>.  I'm using the same containers with rigid airline tubing for the cultures.

BTW, what are you guys using for fertilizer/food for your phyto?

The Schultz Plant food I am using kind of leaves a bit of cloudy residue in the jars that I don't like. Not sure what causes it and it's in the starting water which is just RO + salt + plant food. I figured it would go away, but it hasn't really.

Any update to this thread? I just picked up a culture of L strain rotifers from Christie and I am cranking up to get ready for another batch of Cardinals.

I haven't had a tank up for a while, so I haven't been growing phyto. Other club members are (I assume) still using cultures they got from me.

There was a write-up in the Wiki, but I don't think we've restored the Wiki database yet.

Did you have any specific questions?

I'm surprised Flyingarmy hasn't chirped in. I have used phyto in the past that he grew and saw a marked difference in my corals. Mark?

I ended up getting some started cultures from Rawn so I have mine going now as well as the rotifers.

Back