Phytoplankton Culture

Is your basement cold? I am not certain my will grow because of the tap water I used. We will see.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm not an expert, but I don't think it is picky. I bought a 2' t-8 fixture from lowes and 2 - 6500k bulbs from homedepot.

I think it was like $40 all in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bcavalli do you have a culture running? If so how long?

Not yet. As soon as I finish my upgrade this week I'm going to get started on it. I'll have to pickup a culture and I'm all set.

russ;1105631 wrote: I'm not an expert, but I don't think it is picky. I bought a 2' t-8 fixture from lowes and 2 - 6500k bulbs from homedepot.

I think it was like $40 all in

That's super cheap.

If mine takes off you are welcome to some. I'll know in 2 days.

After 24 hrs

It looks like it is growing.

b660131476bc27c98734244b400d0a8b.jpg
alt="" />

Cool, those algeal discs have a lot of cells on them. I think that some might have been killed by the chlorine more then enough survived. Just wait until it looks like gnarly pea soup and you are good to go

Sent from my LGL31L using Tapatalk

Sewer Urchin;1105726 wrote: Cool, those algeal discs have a lot of cells on them. I think that some might have been killed by the chlorine more then enough survived. Just wait until it looks like gnarly pea soup and you are good to go

Sent from my LGL31L using Tapatalk

Great!!! Think that will be about a week? How do you sterilize the tanks?

Next week I am going to be purchasing a bunch of copepods and amphipods and start two separate cultures. I am thinking about a culture of a variety of copepod species and a amphipod culture. I really want to limit my frozen food. I think it will be better to have algae grazers than adding PO4 in the frozen food.

That's awesome. I could give you a cup of water out of my chaeto Chamber it's loaded with pods. That's all I'm going to use to breed mine.

Day 4

e1aab02d0eea921915250334a91b7ac9.jpg
alt="" />

I will be ordering 4 species of copepods and Amphipods for a Friday delivery.

Little tip - you may want to go by a brewer's supply store and replace those cut/drilled metal lids with rubber/silicone stoppers. Over time they'll rust out and potentially contaminate your culture or at least turn seriously gross after about 3-4 months.

Learned about this the hard way when my coworker and I attempted to build DIY red volcano shrimp "ecospheres" (read - off-the-shelf unsealed room-temp pico vases)... almost all of his shrimp died in the first 72 hours, all of mine plus one Bruce Willis-style last-man-standing survivor from his are still trucking after over 3 years. Only difference was the drilled sheet metal lid (his) versus acrylic lid (mine).

BulkRate;1105888 wrote: Little tip - you may want to go by a brewer's supply store and replace those cut/drilled metal lids with rubber/silicone stoppers. Over time they'll rust out and potentially contaminate your culture or at least turn seriously gross after about 3-4 months.

Learned about this the hard way when my coworker and I attempted to build DIY red volcano shrimp "ecospheres" (read - off-the-shelf unsealed room-temp pico vases)... almost all of his shrimp died in the first 72 hours, all of mine plus one Bruce Willis-style last-man-standing survivor from his are still trucking after over 3 years. Only difference was the drilled sheet metal lid (his) versus acrylic lid (mine).

That's a great tip!!! It will happen very soon.

Seems to be growing really well. Every day except 3 to 4 appears to be a big difference.

Back