Picky A** Fish

qasimja

Market
Reaction score
I went to get fishfood yesterday and i got this brand which ive never gotten before by accident i just grabbed it didn't read the label and most of my fish refuse to eat it they will bite it then spit it out my triggers eat it by tangs and clownfish and angelfish and anthias spit it out anyone elses fish pre madonnas like this? ive tried chopping it up into smaller bits but they still spit it out i dunno if its because the color seems different then regular mysis but my tangs are medium to large so the size should not be an issue for them

unnamed (3).jpg

Gotta stick to the OG san Francisco bay brand!!

Sent from my LM-K500 using Tapatalk

The only things that eat hikari brand mysis is my corals...my fish just look at it and let if drift by
PE is soooo expensive but the fish love it...

I've never tried the "Jumbo" version of Hikari's mysis but I have had good success in using the traditional Hikari mysis product. I actually like it a lot for certain applications over PE because of the smaller size. I think another main difference is that PE Mysis are a freshwater mysis from a glacial lake while the Hikari mysis are a saltwater or brackish species. What that means in terms of nutrition or palatability I haven't a clue.

I've never tried the "Jumbo" version of Hikari's mysis but I have had good success in using the traditional Hikari mysis product. I actually like it a lot for certain applications over PE because of the smaller size. I think another main difference is that PE Mysis are a freshwater mysis from a glacial lake while the Hikari mysis are a saltwater or brackish species. What that means in terms of nutrition or palatability I haven't a clue.
i usually pick up PE mysis thats what i thought i had picked up this time or san fran bay mysis

Back at the LFS, i got to try dozens of different foods across thousands of fish. Hikari Mysis is very readily eaten by most fish. But Hikari Jumbo Mysis is ignored by most small and medium fish. So your experience here is in line with my own.

Back at the LFS, i got to try dozens of different foods across thousands of fish. Hikari Mysis is very readily eaten by most fish. But Hikari Jumbo Mysis is ignored by most small and medium fish. So your experience here is in line with my own.
do you think its the size of the mysis that the fish dont like? i noticed also its whiter then normal mysis

do you think its the size of the mysis that the fish dont like? i noticed also its whiter then normal mysis
Not precisely, although it is a possibility. All i can say for certain is that Hikari (regular) Mysis is a winner, and Hikari Jumbo Mysis is not. It may be due to the size. However, it may also be due to other factors in the manufacturing process, producing differing taste, texture, or smell... causing fish to disprefer it.

I agree. I use the smaller mysis on all tanks and my fish love them. They do not like the jumbo size for some reason. The only jumbo size they'll eat is Picses

I agree. I use the smaller mysis on all tanks and my fish love them. They do not like the jumbo size for some reason. The only jumbo size they'll eat is Picses
my fish if i thaw it out and chop it up and mix with brine some of them eat it but most of them still will take it and spit it out gotta get my regular brand from the fish store this weekend

my fish if i thaw it out and chop it up and mix with brine some of them eat it but most of them still will take it and spit it out gotta get my regular brand from the fish store this weekend
I try and offer a variety of sized mysis. Usually it's regular Hakari and PE. Many of the smaller fish have a problem with the larger PE. I occasionally get SF when stores don't have anything else and the batch I currently have from them is very small, smaller than the Hakari, and it creates a cloud when I feed. I need to get some PE, but it's so damn expensive.

You could get another pack of the regular Hakari or PE and mix them together when you thaw. I drain all the mysis I use and press out the excess water. Then add Selcon or Vitachem and some RO water and let it sit in the fridge for a while before feeding. You may want to try something similar and see if the taste or texture profile changes to their liking. Either way, just mixing the two different sized mysis will give all the fish their fair shot at something.

Get a garlic additive. I use Seachem's. It helps get fish to eat the food. I put the mysis in a shot glass and let the garlic soak in the fridge prior to feeding.

Back