Planning stages for comprehensive LED setup

coolsurf

Reaction score
I am in the planning stages of a very comprehensive DIY LED lighting setup. I need to find out how to mimic cloud cover. What LED's would best represent cloud cover? I am even considering lightning just for aesthetic purposes. The system I am designing will be programmable and dimmable. Hopefully I will get this started within the next month.

<span style="color: black"><span style="font-family: Verdana">I am going to tag along, I am also in the process of doing an LED build. I know there are drivers out there that are dimmable, but they are dimmed with the use of potentiometer. Are there controllers that can mimic a potentiometer? From what I have seen controllers usually are on or off nothing in between.</span></span>

What size tank are you wanting to put this over? Reason I ask is, if it's a fairly small tank, you could always stick a AI module over it. You'd then have cloud cover AND thunderstorms!!!!

An Apex controller will do cloud cover and lightning, as well as sunrise and sunset, and moon phase. Use Meanwell or Thomas Research drivers with 0-10v dimming.

The tank is a 55 gallon. I am trying to do it all off of one centralized controlling/programming unit. Even the sump will be LED light controlled.

As for dimmable, please remember that most dimmers are controlling voltage. Even with less voltage an LED will run. I believe you can use a constant current let's say at 1000ma, then use a PWM circuit 10-100% cycle to get your variable brightness.

The 0-10 volts is just a control signal into the drivers. It contols the current output proportionately (more or less 0-100%),. The voltage output of the driver floats according to the sum of the forward voltages of the leds.
Some drivers can also use resistance on a circuit or a pwm signal for control as well.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Cloud cover is done by lowering the intensity, obviously. An Arduino based controller could handle clouds and thunderstorms and if remember correctly someone on RC has already programmed it and will share the code if asked.

When I get home, I'll get on posting up pictures from my purchased LED rebuild so everyone can see what the high dollar companies are doing with their LEDs.

Hmmm, I never thought about PWM. I have one somewhere 12v 35watts max. Maybe good enough for one string.

Here is a little info on the PWM circuit if you need some.....
a>

If I were you, I would use an Arduino (DIY reef keeper)

Everything you need to know

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1952442">http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1952442</a>
[IMG]http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1987110&highlight=diy+led+controller">http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1987110&highlight=diy+led+controller</a>

Some real good information there. The Arduino is a good device...no doubt, I am considering it. Low cost for what it offers.

As for LED's for the cloudcover, I am still wondering what colors would be the best...greens and blues? Sunsets...Blues, Reds and yellows?

Just trying to do a bit more than dim lights for cloudcover and put more of a look and feel of an actual cloudy day. Ideas?

I'm in the process of doing an LED build using those links and for the sunrise sunset I will be doing red/yellow led's that will fade on fade off to simulate dawn/dusk.. I'm going to just play around with the fade settings until I get it looking real.

I'm with ya on that one. I'm doing a set of reds and maybe add a couple yellows for effect. Fade out the blues and keep some pure white and it may work. Cloud cover may be brownish/blue. I'm thinking of blue and red combo with a pinch of white. We'll see, it should be interesting.

BTW..you sold me on the Arduino. It appears to offer everything I was seeking. I've put together my shopping list and just need to order. If I bump the cost of my build against the cost of a <u>used</u> MH plus bulbs, it is very comparable. Add the Arduino to the mix and you can't go wrong.

i was out of the hobby for 5 years and just recently started back up a 55G reef but before i left and now i had T5s are leds alot better?

IMO LED's are certainly the way of the future and we are getting there at lightning speed. A year ago I was considering an LED build and was convinced out of it for one reason or another. Here I am a year later with more info at my fingertips and mega suppliers for parts and build threads everywhere.

OK..the cost of a DIY is comparable to buying new lights, the colors and growth from the corals are incredable, they run cool, they do not need to have the bulbs changed every so many months and they are inexpensive to run.

Check out Dr. Sanjay Joshi for his comparison's to MH and his write ups for LED. Very convincing.

Back