Plastic hose clamps?

jrhunter0000

Market
Reaction score
Ok so i want to go flexable tubing right from the pump to the return however... In the past i bought plastic hose clamps and they always ended up coming off. Does anyone know of a strong clamp or a way to attach the hose to my return pump. It will be submerged so nothing metal please. Thanks

Just use a metal clamp, nothing else works well. It will rust, big deal. Rust is a phosphate remover anyway. Worst that will happen is you get a rust stain. Plastic clamps suck, they either break instantly, dont hold, or you cant get them off without breaking them.

If you are really concerned use some hard PVC till its out of the water then use a metal clamp.

EnderG60;1079605 wrote: Just use a metal clamp, nothing else works well. It will rust, big deal. Rust is a phosphate remover anyway. Worst that will happen is you get a rust stain. Plastic clamps suck, they either break instantly, dont hold, or you cant get them off without breaking them.

If you are really concerned use some hard PVC till its out of the water then use a metal clamp.

Yes but i heard the metal is terrible for a tank! Seeing this a grow out tank i want my water top notch!

hzheng33;1079606 wrote: lol, I just ordered my clamp from brs cuz I was doing the same thing. look up vinyl braided hose clamp on their website

Thank you Hui! I will look at that now.

jrhunter0000;1079608 wrote: Yes but i heard the metal is terrible for a tank! Seeing this a grow out tank i want my water top notch!

only certain metals. but most people avoid all metals just to be safe. titanium and stainless steel are ok for a tank. if you look at high end skimmers they use metal screws to hold them together with no problems and those screws are usually titanium and sometimes stainless. same with the high end heaters. their tubes are made of titanium.

gold is another one but im sure you dont want to have a hose clamp made of gold lol

jrhunter0000;1079608 wrote: Yes but i heard the metal is terrible for a tank! Seeing this a grow out tank i want my water top notch!

Copper is terrible for the tank, iron just rusts. You have stainless steel (iron) pump shafts in your water, as well as screws in the pumps and most people put rust(GFO) in reactors to remove phosphate. Iron is actually one of the major components to salt water.

Try not to adhere to blanket statements. Not all metal is bad.

I was afraid of it for years until I noted a hose clamp I dropped in my nanos filter that had been there for years. Never caused any issues. Also found a few lost screws in other tank while cleaning. Rusty but that was it.

I had a vinyl hose on the return pump that was more loose then I was comfortable with. The way I discovered it was while under the tank I bumped it at tank water shot everywhere... me, electrical outlets, ceiling, floor..... everywhere. I already knew that Home Depot doesn't stock plastic hose clamps the diameter that I needed and was unwilling to wait for BRS to send me some, so I let necessity inspire me and used a zip tie.

Those thick ones that they use in HVAC work really well. I read somewhere that they should hold a couple of hundred PSI, I don't know about that, but it did pass the terrible tot two year old test! Ever need to check to see if something will hold.... I've got just the kid. ;-)

Zip ties are great!

if you used the flexible pvc you and I were talking about, you can glue it into a fitting just like you would rigid pvc. I always glue it into unions to make disconnect quick and easy.

These are all stainless and you should be able to find the same ones at Lowes.

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Plumbing-Plumbing-Accessories-Repair-Clamps/Everbilt/N-5yc1vZbqomZ402?browsestoreoption=1">http://www.homedepot.com/b/Plumbing-Plumbing-Accessories-Repair-Clamps/Everbilt/N-5yc1vZbqomZ402?browsestoreoption=1</a>

The zip tie idea is good too. You can get those heavy duty HVAC ones pretty tight with a channel lock.

We mainly use all stainless metal clamps. The rusting has no adverse effects on the system. Once the clamps get too nasty looking after a few years we usually replace them. We have 10+ year old systems we some nasty looking clamps and have never had any issues. None the less some of our technicians aren't convinced like you guys and just use heavy duty zip ties. The AC unit ones.

EnderG60;1079605 wrote: Just use a metal clamp, nothing else works well. It will rust, big deal. Rust is a phosphate remover anyway. Worst that will happen is you get a rust stain. Plastic clamps suck, they either break instantly, dont hold, or you cant get them off without breaking them.

Respectfully disagree with it being OK to use a metal clamp below the water line. I've seen too many people with mysterious invert deaths due to metal contamination and rusting hose clamps.

A plastic zip tie or 2 can secure a vinyl tube to a return pump. That or the other suggestion above - PVC to above the water line, then a nipple and tube, clamped.

Jenn

JennM;1079656 wrote: Respectfully disagree with it being OK to use a metal clamp below the water line. I've seen too many people with mysterious invert deaths due to metal contamination and rusting hose clamps.

A plastic zip tie or 2 can secure a vinyl tube to a return pump. That or the other suggestion above - PVC to above the water line, then a nipple and tube, clamped.

Jenn

So many mixed reviews. I have used the zip ties before and came home to a tripped breaker box. The hose popped off and sprayed everywhere.

That stinks.

Well the metal clamp is a bad idea, IMO. I've seen the damage that can cause to inverts.

Jenn

JennM;1079684 wrote: That stinks.

Well the metal clamp is a bad idea, IMO. I've seen the damage that can cause to inverts.

Jenn
Yea been reading some info I have it PVC now but it's so noisy these sicce pumps aren't so quiet

http://www.titan-marine-hardware.com/titanium-hose-clamps.htm">http://www.titan-marine-hardware.com/titanium-hose-clamps.htm</a>
Use these and be done with it. If these kill inverts then every chiller ever made and half the heaters would as well. Pricey but is a one time purchase.

grouper therapy;1079707 wrote: http://www.titan-marine-hardware.com/titanium-hose-clamps.htm">http://www.titan-marine-hardware.com/titanium-hose-clamps.htm</a>
Use these and be done with it. If these kill inverts then every chiller ever made and half the heaters would as well. Pricey but is a one time purchase.[/QUOTE]

I will check them out! Thanks so much!

Titanium is safe (although I'd highly disagree that titanium heaters are 'high end'... they suck.)

Most clamps are made of alloys that break down, all metal clamps aren't equal.

Copper will kill inverts PDQ.

I never could get used to the notion of using jars of rust (GFO) so I'm stuck in the old school when it comes to metals in the tank.

I used pumps with ceramic impeller shafts. Yeah they had metal screws but that's about the limit of the amount of metal I'd use.

Jenn

Back