Plate coral help

lsu_fishfan

Market
Reaction score
So I've had this large blue plate for almost a year now, and in the past few months, I've noticed some recession of the tissue. It started out at about a quarter inch and has probably tripled in size. Nearby coral are a red chalice, hulk Lepto, and frogspawn.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
1038899=62338-image.jpg
>
1038899=62338-image.jpg
class="gc-images" title="image.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Depending a chalic, at night it could put out sweepers up to 1 1/2 to 2" & frogspawn can reach out pretty far.too.
Is there a chance it's getting stung? Move it away from everything, feed it and see if it gets better.

Camellia;1038919 wrote: Depending a chalic, at night it could put out sweepers up to 1 1/2 to 2" & frogspawn can reach out pretty far.too.
Is there a chance it's getting stung? Move it away from everything, feed it and see if it gets better.

The strange thing is that the recession is on the opposite side of the frogspawn and also doesn't face the chalice.

That is odd! Is there anything on that side of it? Do the power heads blow water movement that way?

By any chance is it getting more flow on that area than it used to? They can get hurt by to much flow!

It is on the side facing the front glass. It is only about an inch or so off of the glass, so maybe it's not getting enough flow?

LSU_fishFan;1038934 wrote: It is on the side facing the front glass. It is only about an inch or so off of the glass, so maybe it's not getting enough flow?

i wouldnt think too little flow would hurt it like that cause these guys specialize in low flow. my guess is that there might be something in the sand bugging it. maybe some type of worm?

also id pull it out and dip it just in case its something unexpected.

Tagging along... I've only had my green plate for 2 months and it's one of my favorite corals (it's fun watching them eat). I'm very curious to know what could do this to a plate, and how to treat it. I hope yours gets better!

dasianguy;1039017 wrote: Tagging along... I've only had my green plate for 2 months and it's one of my favorite corals (it's fun watching them eat). I'm very curious to know what could do this to a plate, and how to treat it. I hope yours gets better!

Thanks, they are very fun to watch eat.

Post a picture of what all is around it. You'd be surprised at what looks 'harmless' but can put a bad sting on something that's downstream from it.

Is the tissue dying/falling off, or is it just staying closed? Plates can draw in so tight that they look dead, but the tissue is just really 'hiding'.

Jenn

Here's a pic, the 2 birdnests were just moved there the past weekend.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
1039267=62368-image.jpg
>
1039267=62368-image.jpg
class="gc-images" title="image.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Those chalices on either side can put out long sweepers. I'd move them up and leave the plate on the bottom.

JennM;1039302 wrote: Those chalices on either side can put out long sweepers. I'd move them up and leave the plate on the bottom.

On the left side of the plate are you referring to the Lepto as a chalice?

Yes, as in "chalice" for a number of varieties of plating LPS.

From the picture id say that chalice got it one night and its just stn at the sting sight , some stings stn very slowly for months. Even if its not the chalice I'd still move it you really need a good hand with between it and its neighbors even if the flow blows the sweepers away I'd move it some and I would dip the plate and check the exposed skeleton for va
Vermetide snails and put it off the sand bed on a flat rock or id cut a 1/2" long piece of pvc pipe to put it on and that may help eliminate a few problems if it doesn't fix it at least we know its not that.

One other thought is if you have a power head facing the front it could be hitting the glass and causing a downward current that is hitting it in that spot

Back