Plate Problem

rk4435

Market
Reaction score
Has anyone seen a similar discoloration with a plate before?

I have a 90 gallon tank that has been running for seven months, Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, Nitrate .10, Phosphate .05, I have a PH kit on the way.

I started running GFO a few weeks ago because my P04 was 1.5. I have three new bulbs in my T5 fixture, the fourth was broken during shipment. My salinity has been swinging a bit as I recently changed sumps and I have not mastered the manual top off with the faster evaporation. I have an ATO on the way.

I probably just offered several possible reasons, I'm hoping someone with more experience can help narrow things down.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
943278=52548-image.jpg
>
943278=52548-image.jpg
class="gc-images" title="image.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Sometimes mine deflate, not usually that far. Do you by chance have any shrimp in your tank?

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

I had Peppermints that disappeared long before it started looking bad, I'm not sure who did it but someone took them out.

Thought I'd check. Had them take a plate out just like yours.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

What can you tell me about bleaching LSU fishfan? Is it related to light?

I just read an old thread on RC about how sensitive they are to sand. Last night my Diamond Goby had buried the same thing. I rescued it but the repeated irritation could be a possible source.

Bleaching is coursed by bad lights such as old t5 bulbs. My plate is recovering from it right now. It looks almost identical to the one in the picture.

I ordered new ones to do a six month change and two arrived broken. When the replacements arrived two weeks later one was broken, so I have three new bulbs and one old ATI Blue Special that is at about 7 months now.

Thanks for the help LSU. Hopefully if the fourth bulb is the issue I'll get it resolved soon.

That is from something that has scratched, cut or torn your coral. Up the water changes for nutrients sake, add iodine and spot feed it with a turkey baster frozen mysis. May even like carnivore pellets. Just make sure anything that can rob it of food gets fed double first

Are you referring to the spot that looks receded a bit, or discoloration overall?

The bit that looks receded could be from an injury or irritation. Keep an eye on it, but the short-tentacled plates (Fungia, Cycloseris) can withstand some injury and heal, in my experience. The long-tentacled plates (Heliofungia sp.) - not so much.

I've had a Fungia totally recede to the point where I thought it was dead - left it in the tank because I'd read that it can have young grow off the dead skeleton. A couple of weeks later, it opened back up (the tank had undergone a major trauma - Rio pump meltdown). Last time I saw it, that coral was still alive, some 6 or so years after the mishap.

I've also had a couple of Cycloseris arrive broken in half from some sort of trauma during shipping. In both cases, both halves healed up and re-grew.

If it is recession due to damage/injury, I'd give it a disinfecting dip (Seachem Reef Dip, or Revive or similar) in case there are any bad bacteria to cause infection and further recession, and replace it in the tank afterward. Do watch for any inhabitants picking on it - that can cause further damage.

And yes, sleeper gobies can relentlessly pour sand on it. They do have some ability to inflate and deflate to move the sand off them, but I've seen gobies shovel it back on faster than the coral can get rid of it, and that causes stress, and can lead to the failure of the coral.

If it's that spot, I don't think it's light related.

Jenn

Back