Plati-dip

popsbjd

Supporting
Reaction score
Has anyone used Plati-dip for pieces that will be in contact with water? I want my PVC joints to be black and I couldn't find fusion. I've read it is reef safe once cured but was wondering if anyone has any personal experience.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Pardon my ignorance, but is Plasti-dip an epoxy paint?

From the product website. I also submitted a question to the manufacturer.
b3945b9fb1c1ee874b439acf293258bb.jpg

Got a reply from the manufactuer.

"Good Morning Brian,

Many consumers have successfully applied Plasti Dip to different items in their aquariums. Plasti Dip is considered non-toxic once fully cured and dry; 24 hours after final coat is applied. Plasti Dip can be used on many different substrates such as wood, metal, stainless steel, plastics, fiberglass, glass, and much more. We recommend testing this application in a small area to make sure it will meet your expectations.

Thank you,

Tiffany Werner
Customer Service/Technical Support/Inside Sales | Plasti Dip International"

That is a pretty bold affirmative from the company. I think that they wouldn't say that if it wasn't 100% safe.

Got a reply from the manufactuer.

"Good Morning Brian,

Many consumers have successfully applied Plasti Dip to different items in their aquariums. Plasti Dip is considered non-toxic once fully cured and dry; 24 hours after final coat is applied. Plasti Dip can be used on many different substrates such as wood, metal, stainless steel, plastics, fiberglass, glass, and much more. We recommend testing this application in a small area to make sure it will meet your expectations.

Thank you,

Tiffany Werner
Customer Service/Technical Support/Inside Sales | Plasti Dip International"

That is a pretty bold affirmative from the company. I think that they wouldn't say that if it wasn't 100% safe.
Wow she didn’t even put anything like plasti dip is not reliable to any accidents that’s happen .

Note: when dealing with manufacturers, aquarium-safe (and fish-safe) is very different from reef-safe. One of my friends learned this the hard way and lost a couple thousand dollars in corals before inviting me over to troubleshoot. After some small-scale experimentation, sure enough, this was the issue. We called the company, and they gave him (~$100) refund on the product... but the coral was lost.

For those curious, this was one of Carib-Sea’s “fish-safe” sands.

Anytime I see aquarium-safe or fish-safe, I imagine it’s tested in a freshwater cichlid tank.

Last edited:
Back