please help me plan a new tank

sureone

Reaction score
<span style="font-size: 12px;">I am planning a new tank. It is going to be a 36 gallon bow front corner tank. It will be a reef tank with live rock, mostly soft corals and a few fish. I want to do this right so I am taking my time planning it.</span>
<span style="font-size: 12px;">The main decisions I have to make are on lighting and filtration.</span>

<span style="font-size: 12px;">I would like to start with the filtration.</span>

<span style="font-size: 12px;">Of course there are 3 choices. The hang on power filter, a sump or a home made wet dry system like the bio-cube.</span>

<span style="font-size: 12px;">The power filter is the cheapest and I think it would do the job. I am currently running a Rena on my 30 gallon and it is doing a great job. The big drawback is the tank won’t fit in the corner.</span>

<span style="font-size: 12px;">I could section off the back comer of the tank and set up a wet dry system like the one on the bio-cube and I think it would work very well. My concern with this method is where would I put a protein skimmer?</span>

<span style="font-size: 12px;">A sump may be the best way but the question is can the tank be drilled? How do I know? And do I need this efficiency for the tank I am planning? </span>

<span style="font-size: 12px;">your thoughts and advice would be appreciated.</span>

I would check with the manufacturer and see if its tempered glass and where they used it if it has any. I would also set up a sump if possible. There are so many advantages to a sump although its not the cheapest route to go.

Making your own all in one would be fun, but you would lose alot of your space in the display tank. Like John said I would go with the sump although it is not the cheapest and plumbing can be a pain in the butt. The sump will allow you to have more water and to hide all your equipment.
I am not sure about the best way to light a bow front corner tank. Are you going to have a canopy?

Back