Please help me to select parts for my tank

thanhreef

Market
Reaction score
Marineland Deep Dimension 200g (48"L x 36"W x 27"H)

Skimmer:
use my current Reef Octopus DDNW-150 Recirculating Protein

Reactor:
use my current MRC Calcium Reactor CR-2 Dual

Filtration: I could go with one below</em>
DHI Refugium 60 (Dimensions: 42"L x 18"W x 18"H). I have been using ADHI Refugium 20 for my current tank. I really love it
MRC 36" Reef Sump (Add a 4 Probe Probe Holder)
MRC 48" Reef Sump (Add a 4 Probe Probe Holder)
<span style="color: red;">any suggestions?</span>

Flow:
maybe a few Vortech mp40's

Lighting: I have not idea. I would go with:
option 1: (2) 400 watt of MH and 4 54w T5's
option 2: (8) overdriven 54w ATI Blue+ and Special with reflectors and endcaps on ICECAP 660's
option 3: LED lighting

if I go with option 1, which pendants or reflector choices would be the best? I love Dimmable ballasts

<span style="color: black;">Thanks in advance for your suggestions</span>

I think you'll need to upgrade your skimmer. If i'm not mistaken the 150 only does 185 gallons.

I would deninatly do 2 or 3 mp40's just depends on rockwork I love mine.

As for sump do the biggest you can fit. But I'd avoid the probe holder. A lot of people have been reporting interference if they are to close.

Mockery;445503 wrote: I think you'll need to upgrade your skimmer. If i'm not mistaken the 150 only does 185 gallons.

I would deninatly do 2 or 3 mp40's just depends on rockwork I love mine.

As for sump do the biggest you can fit. But I'd avoid the probe holder. A lot of people have been reporting interference if they are to close.

Thank you. The skimmer is pretty new and recommended for aquariums up to 350 gallons. You're confused it with Reef Octopus DNWB 150

Skimmer wise, depending on how large of a sump you are getting I think it should be sufficient. However I don't really go much by the ratings, I try to look at the picture as a whole. I am surprised the diameter of the body is still 6". Obviously the neck is longer but still the body still the same size in diameter as the other Octopus 150. I am sure you already know, the more bubbles created allow the more surface area to export the proteins. However if you keep the sizes of the neck the same, there can only be so many bubbles trying to rise out of there. Granted having 2 pumps is great but you are still handicapped by the size of the neck and body.

That is why I always tell people to buy the largest Skimmer their budget allows so you won't have do it again when you upgrade.

As for the light, I suggest you to go with 3-250w instead of 2-400w. The reason for this is with 400w, you will get a spot instead of it evenly distributed. Granted that the tank will have a middle reinforce bracket that will block some of the light, you will better off with a middle light. Because of it being deep, 4 t5 in the back would be sufficient since most of the corals are higher in the back due to rock formation.

Can not go wrong with the Vortechs. I had one and added a second about two months ago to my 6 foot tank and it is incredible. Best reef investment I have ever made.

purpleGORILLA;445521 wrote: Skimmer wise, depending on how large of a sump you are getting I think it should be sufficient. However I don't really go much by the ratings, I try to look at the picture as a whole. I am surprised the diameter of the body is still 6". Obviously the neck is longer but still the body still the same size in diameter as the other Octopus 150. I am sure you already know, the more bubbles created allow the more surface area to export the proteins. However if you keep the sizes of the neck the same, there can only be so many bubbles trying to rise out of there. Granted having 2 pumps is great but you are still handicapped by the size of the neck and body.

That is why I always tell people to buy the largest Skimmer their budget allows so you won't have do it again when you upgrade.

As for the light, I suggest you to go with 3-250w instead of 2-400w. The reason for this is with 400w, you will get a spot instead of it evenly distributed. Granted that the tank will have a middle reinforce bracket that will block some of the light, you will better off with a middle light. Because of it being deep, 4 t5 in the back would be sufficient since most of the corals are higher in the back due to rock formation.

Thank you very much, Dr :). I did not expect I upgrade to a tank this big :). Any suggestions for pendants or reflector choices?

TChristman;445541 wrote: Can not go wrong with the Vortechs. I had one and added a second about two months ago to my 6 foot tank and it is incredible. Best reef investment I have ever made.

thank you.

vista;445600 wrote: Thank you very much, Dr :). I did not expect I upgrade to a tank this big :). Any suggestions for pendants or reflector choices?

Well depending on what type of bulbs you will be running. I have always been using Phoenix 14k bulbs so I was dead set on DE. I ended up with Luminarc Stealth since I have a canopy. I like to keep wrasses so going open is out of the question. The stealth was the only thing that fits and still look good. However it is always on backorder for some reason.

a>

Back