plumbers putty reef safe?

hammerhead

Reaction score
Can I use plumbers epoxy to adhere some frags to live rock?? yes I know there is specific epoxy for this but I got some plumbers putty to use. any thoughts?

I don't think it would work anyway. That stuff never really hardens. Also, I wonder if it has a mildew inhibiter in it?

I use jb weld
Which one exactly you have

On reef central they say this one is safe

http://www.lowes.com/pd_23533-138-31270_0__?productId=3132883">http://www.lowes.com/pd_23533-138-31270_0__?productId=3132883</a>. They carry it in the store not in the paint section but in the plumbing section

This one set in 3 to 5 min
Got to work fast
Jb weld about 20 mins

Good stuff, I just ran out of reef epoxy and was wondering if there was a cheaper alternative.

JB water weld's what I use, but you have to make a kind of "sandwich" to have much luck getting frags to stick.
Like this: (cryanolite-based superglue "gel", not liquid, mind you)

Bottom of frag - superglue gel - thin pad of JB - yet more superglue gel - rock I want it stuck to

The last couple of times I've just given up, drained the tank down to the section of rockwork I'm planning to anchor to, and just use the gel only. Seems to work better than trying it submerged, provided your corals can deal with a few minutes of air exposure.

I have a busted Aqua clear filter and was not ready to throw it out so I put some Jb weld around the crack
It is still holding

Good luck

Also if memory serves me correctly before I put on the epoxy I did apply some super glue gel first
Hope this helps

It seem Bassett22 had some Luck with this epoxy
It's your call since I never used it Before

Oatey says not to use in aquariums, look at the submittal sheet PDF on the page below.

a>

GE Silicone II says not to use it in aquariums too but it works fine. The general reason they say that is as a disclaimer. If something happens and they said it would work...lawsuit. If they claim it won't work but it does...no problem.

It seem there is a lot of debate over this epoxy
Some say they use it for years with no problem, some say they don't trust it because it has metal in
I guess you just have to draw your own conclusions

Back