Plumbing and overflow boxes for newbies?

Theoretically it would work fine if you could drill one of the tanks, put in a bulkhead, and get that tank higher than the other tank. I'm planning a fuge separate from my sump and it will be on some 2x4's to elevate the fuge bulkhead above the sump's rim so when water reaches the level of the bulkhead it runs down into the sump's return pump chamber. Basically the same as having a setup with the return pump in the middle, just in 2 containers instead of one.

Found a better solution to the sump situation: one tank only, a 30 gallon (thanks Presteige!). It should provide all the room I'll need. Then the taller 20g can be my QT tank instead. That should reduce the headache on my tank's plumbing, yes? :thumbs:
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
356854=17461-30gal.jpg
>
356854=17461-30gal.jpg
class="gc-images" title="30gal.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Yes. Now comes the next hard part, cutting the baffles correct and making sure you leave enough room in the event of power outage/return pump failure.

I see that you are in acworth. You can get your glass baffles at Kennesaw glass and mirror. They are at the corner of mars hill road and 41 cobb parkway. go ahead and spend the extra 10 bucks and get 1/4 " glass. Tell them you want the top edge polished. You will have to let them know which side that is. H ave your baffles cut an 1/8 smaller than your tank. You can cut a test piece from wood and try that before ordering your glass.

I second the Kennesaw glass place. I got 4 pieces cut out of 1/4" for less then 30 dollars. Definatly use glass.

Im too lazy to read all the post. But were I left off was talking about the different flow rates, the overflow and the return. Your overflow needs to be rated higher than the return. I have an overflow rated at 700gph hour and a mag 5 return pump. Hope that helps!

I'm going to try Kennesaw Glass and Mirror; I need a new table top cut anyway.

Okay, so I need three pieces of glass cut for the bubble trap. One should run from the top of the tank to 1" to the bottom. The other two should start at the bottom and go up... I'm not sure how high they need to be. I'm thinking of using the Reef Octopus NWB-110 or NWB-150 and just make the compartment bigger. Now to look up how much water the Reef Octopus needs in order to work.

Back