Plumbing help needed

You can do it one of two ways. You can either use the barbs as you have it now with some flex tubing to and from your sump or you can replace the bulkheads and get get the slip/slip or slip/threaded ones. After changing tanks many times and plumbing about 2 dozen tanks now (with no leaks at that) I've come to like the slip/thread bulkheads more. They can be reused as appose to the slip/slip. You can get 1" slip/thread bulkheads from your LFS, slip your stand pipe into the slip side and then buy a slip/thread fitting from home depot for a buck and thread it into your bulkhead and then glue PVC pipes to the slip side of the fitting. That way if you ever have to redo your plumbing or upgrade/downgrade tanks, at least you can save the bulkheads. At $10-$15 a pop, they start to add up quickly. I have 12 bulkheads in my system right now, so as you can see that's already over $100 in bulkheads I don't need to buy again.

I can't get a good shot at my bulkheads (not going to drop my phone in the sump) but you'll get the idea. These gate valves aren't cheap so I got the threaded ones and then a slip/thread fitting from home depot. The fittings are dirt cheap and I can throw those out all day but the gate valve us about $20 and that hurts.
963636=54565-uploadfromtaptalk1403134937536.jpg
>
963636=54565-uploadfromtaptalk1403134937536.jpg
class="gc-images" title="uploadfromtaptalk1403134937536.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:400px" /></a>

miktrav;963588 wrote: I just bought some slip pvc fittings from Pure Reef. The inflow on my sump is 3/4 do I use a reducer to go from 1" to 3/4?

I was up there all day today...lol I did'nt sell any bulkheads or I might of thought it was you.
Did you try and ask for info while you were up there? I'm sure the guys up there could have straightened this all out

My wife picked them up for me a little after noon today. I called George on the phone and told him to hold them for her. Instead of the Slip/Threaded ones we got Slip/Slip. Do you think I will be able to swap them out?

heathlindner25;963661 wrote: I was up there all day today...lol I did'nt sell any bulkheads or I might of thought it was you.
Did you try and ask for info while you were up there? I'm sure the guys up there could have straightened this all out

H. Nguyen,

Thanks for the info. We got the Slip Slip Bulkheads by accident so I'll see if I can swap them out tomorrow. If not I'll just use them as is and remember to get the slip threaded next time.

Hnguyen pointed out that the Slip/Threaded bulkheads would be best for reuse if I ever upgraded and I agree. It would be a simple unscrew and reuse. I may keep these since I have already spent the money and am anxious to get started but I should have asked questions before I started the build.

heathlindner25;963696 wrote: I would think you would want slip to slip if your wanting to hard pipe everything.

Thanks!

Bgcoop8784;963695 wrote: If you have to use them, you can always get a couple slip to thread adapters from almost any hardware store and just glue them in, this way you can still change stuff out..not as easy as just getting new bulkheads, but always an option.

Back